Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra lightweight wheelchair

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?

Ultra lightweight wheelchair

I am looking for a really lightweight portable wheelchair, something with just a soft seat and back, that I can fold and throw in and out of the car without taking off the wheels or otherwise disassembling it. I don’t need long term comfort, just a quick easy way to stop at the store, get into the gym, get around a friend’s house. Does anyone know if such a thing exits, or can you suggest websites/distributors I might check?

I'm pretty sure that anything that folds is going to be heavier than a rigid. At least with the folding you could just throw it into the vehicle (what kind of vehicle do you drive?).

Maybe a titanium folder by Tilite? I've never tried one. I made the mistake of ordering my third Quickie 2HP - NEVER AGAIN. Apparently quality went by the wayside somewhere between now and 11 years ago. This thing is clunky and heavy and the berrings are constantly falling out of the wheels when I least expect it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

thanks. I really was hoping there is just some bare bones, lightweight thing, that just will let me roll over short distances, not a full-fledged sturdy wheelchair. I only weigh about 100 pounds, and wouldn't stay in it for long. I have a TI folder--the lightet they had a few years ago--and it is too heavy for me now to lift into the trunk even with the wheels off, and all that assembly is so much work for little errands.

I have a subaru forrester and would love to toss it into the passenger seat, though I could get around to the trunk if I have to. I'm looking for the camping stool of wheelchairs, can't believe there isn't such a thing, but I dont know where to look for something less serious than the major companies make.

I've read people refering to websites and distrbutors I've never heard of. Does anyone know a place I might check for a low-tech wheelchair like this? Maybe something for children? Or maybe for sports? though that's likely to be more serious than I need.

i have a tilite sx and it weighs about 43 pounds with the wheels on and it folds. i don't go anywhere by myself so my brother, dad, or boyfriend assemble and disassemble my chair but they say it's pretty light.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

43 lb.???? Wow, that is a HEAVY chair.

(KLD)

sorry not pounds, the metric one, kilos or kilograms i don't know metric very well sorry but i do know it's 43
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    sorry not pounds, the metric one, kilos or kilograms i don't know metric very well sorry but i do know it's 43
    If it's kilograms would be even heavier, 43 kg. is about 95 lbs.

If it was grams, I want one because that means it weighs less than a tenth of a pound.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    43 lb.???? Wow, that is a HEAVY chair.

(KLD)

Thats what my A4 Ti weights, with spinergy's, jay2 tall and ROHO Quattro

The Küschall Champion

I am about to evaluate a 7.6kg chair -- The Küschall Champion.
    If I'm not mistaken, Invacare is the authorized distributor in the US. I've also heard Küschall may be making a comeback there.

Very sweet, ...rigid characteristics with the benefits of a foldable

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

yes, Kuschall is in the US. they're out in Longmont, CO, and their website will lrt you search for a dealer near you. Website is kuschallna.com. Their folder was still heavier than their rigid, and I learned that with the back folding down on the rigid and the wheels coming off, it's pretty portable. I'm going to get it or the comparabe quickie or TiLite. So I am curious if anyone has any insights to help me choose between the three.

But I still am desperate for a light and easy low tech folder, with soft back and bottom, that I can get in and out of the car without any assembly at all (soft back, wheels always on), just for quick trips from my car.

BTW, here'a the US kuschall products page, with specs:
    http://www.kuschallna.com/index.php?...id=8&Itemid=29

If I'm right that 1 kg=2.2lb, then LaoziSailor's Champion is less than 17lbs, while the US site (above) says it's 25 lbs. Is your measurement without the wheels? Or do they have something different in Canada?