Thread: A question concerning UTIs

A question concerning UTIs

This is probably something the nurses or Dr. Young will need to answer.

I have had cloudy urine for several days. I have sent my sample in which they tell me does not have enough microbes in it to be treatable. The VA likes to wait until the microbe count exceeds 100,000 before treating a UTI. However, the samples I send in are not as cloudy as those when I first wake up. Is it possible to flush a UTI out by drinking water? How dangerous can this be if it continues to be a problem? I am running a low-grade fever. Should I insist on treatment?

"And so it begins."

TD, I gave up on the military clinic because they refused to play with that rule. So my primary care doc who is near me has mine marked at 50,000 if I'm having symptoms and I rarely show up if I'm not. I've also learned that that first cath in the morning is the pot of germs to send in. My second of the day is almost always very clear and then begins clouding again after that as my legs begin to do the spaze matazz dance...

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

If you're running a fever, absolutely get it checked out; give 'em the 'first in the a.m.' sample as Sue suggested. I don't think you can 'flush out' a UTI by drinking lots, but it'll sure help until they get the test results back and get you on some antibiotics. Try drinking some lemonade (yeah, I know, when life hands you lemons!) - this was actually recommended by my son's urologist. It's acid enough that he feels it can sometimes keep the bacteria in check while waiting for test results.

Any time you have a specimen that has sat in your bladder longer, you will have an increased bacteria count. Even if it is over 100,000, it is NOT considered a UTI for people with SCI unless they have symptoms (fever, chills, AD, etc.) or an elevated white count in your blood. Your VA physician is correct in following the guidelines on this that would protect you from over treatment and increased risk of drug resistant infections.

Here is the resource on this that you should print and share with your provider.

http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/utisumm.htm

(KLD)

Blood flecks

I just cathed for the second time today and found two small flecks or clots floating in my urine. Although the fever has gone down my spasms and klonus have increased and I am starting to feel nauseous. I really hate to take the antibiotics for Kebsiella Pneumoniae but with my high pressure problem I think it would be wise.

I finally convinced my VA urologist to place a stent so I will not have to deal with this particular problem anymore. I realize that there are a number of new problems I must face with the stent but I have discussed them with current stent owners and my urologist and believe I have a handle on what sort of maintence will be required with it. Now if I can get away with only a single stent.

"And so it begins."