Thread: Questions re supra-pubic cath from a caregiver

Questions re supra-pubic cath from a caregiver

This was a question asked by Cara on the Caregivers forum; I thought perhaps our members who have/had a supra-pubic could help her out with her questions. Her husband is an incomplete C5-7, 5 months post. He has a little hand function, and is having problems doing intermittent caths.

Posted by Cara:

"So I need some info on a super pubic cath, the doctor wants to put one in next Friday. Is this something we can hook to and empty his bladder every few hours or does he have wear a bag always? He doesn't want the bag all the time, but when it takes 1/2-1 hour to get the self cath tube in, anything is better. He always has a UTI. Opinions from people with and without would help."

Thanks in advance for the help, folks! Jackie

supra pubic cath

my husband has a supra pubic cath for three years now. he is c6 with no hand function. he can self cath, but his bladder has such high pressure and the meds don't help so for now, this is the best option for us. he does wear a leg bag. as far as i understand, that is what is supposed to happen with a supra pubic. sometimes when hubby wants to go swimming or wear shorts, we clamp his cath and unclamp it so he can pee. i really don't think that is recommended though. the cath is very easy to take care of and only needs to be changed about once a month. also, hubby can empty his leg bag himself so he is fully independent and does not have to worry about accidents. someday we hope to get him away from the sp tube, but for now it is working well for him.

supra pub cath

My husband is a T-4 para almost 7 yrs post. About a year after his injury he had a supra-pub put in. He wasnt having trouble cathing, however he was leaking through all the time and "having accidents" all the time it was getting to be too much. He does wear a leg bag during the day,and a larger nite bag which hangs on the edge of the bed. When he wears shorts to the beach, he has a smaller (its not as long) leg bag which he straps on his thigh, instead of his calf.He wears long trunks to his knees and the bag is not visible. We go to the hot springs in Canada, sit in hot tubs at motels we stay at, and if people want to stare at the urine in his bag...we let them!!!! We have found that most people are too busy with their own lives to pay attention to us. And may I just say the people in Canada are very warm and helpful and respectful of my husband. Much more there than here in the states. It was nice to see. Anyway thats our supra-pub story. Good Luck!!! (and God bless!)

Blog Entries

works for me...

I have had lined in for about five years, and though I was doubtful in the beginning, I would now highly recommend it for anyone in my similar situation. It is perfect for my wife and I because we are out in public or out with friends for stretches of long hours and would be a drag if we had to find a private place to cath every couple of hours. I wear shorts almost every day and no one would ever know I have a bag underneath. UTIs were problem initially but I haven't had one now for over a year. The only drawback that I did not foresee in the beginning is that the stoma needs to be cleaned about every other day.

I was considering a bladder augmentation because of the high pressures I currently have, but for now I decided against it basically because what I have now is just so easy.

Hope this helps...God bless!

questions re: suprapubic catheter

Cara - as you have probably noted by the various posts, there are many reasons for which a suprapubic catheter becomes the method of bladder management. A SP is placed into the bladder through an opening (stoma) created on the left lower quadrant of the abdomen. The catheter has an inflatable balloon at its tip, just as a foley cath has; this is inflated after the catheter is in place, to hold it in the bladder.

When one has an indwelling catheter for bladder management, it is important that the catheter not be clamped as has been noted in some of the posts. Any indwelling cath needs to be continuous drainage. The catheter is changed on a monthly basis, usually by the urologist. I have noted some posts on this forum where some persons have mentioned changing their own SP caths. CRF

Thank you for info

Thank you all for input and your own experiences. We went ahead and Bob got a SP Tuesday. They told us he had a blow out in his urethra. What would of caused that? The incision is a little red and fevery and I'm hoping healing O.K. He says he can feel it inside when it moves. Is this usual? He has no sensation down past his nipples on the outside. But sometimes he can feel the pressures of things inside. Is this a good sign of anything coming back? We (I) pray for little come backs at a time such as control of his bodily functions. Hoping that would give a little dignity back to him.
    Thank you all again.

Cara

"Deep sensation"

Originally posted by Cara:

He has no sensation down past his nipples on the outside. But sometimes he can feel the pressures of things inside. Is this a good sign of anything coming back? We (I) pray for little come backs at a time such as control of his bodily functions. Hoping that would give a little dignity back to him.
    Thank you all again.

Cara
    I am a T4 incomplete and feel things inside. Whether this means anything depends on what you are looking for and how long he has been injured. It is said that you get back the most during the first couple of years so if your husband is a recent member of our club then I would suggest you bring this to your physical medicine and rehab MD. If he is past the critical 2 years then I think what he has is all he will get for now.

One suggestion I would make if your husband is past the two years is to have him volunteer for the 4-AP trials that are currently being done. You will find the information about it in the Clinical Trials Forum here.

"And so it begins."