Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is USA really a place to live?

Is USA really a place to live?

Oh man...i dont know how to start this...
    Im from Croatia and im 31 and i make some 70.000$ a year here where I am (what is btw aprox. 7 times average in my country)...
    Im frustrated with some bariers here... not really much places u can go or visit or do in wheelchair....no ramps no nothing....just stairs and stairs and more stairs all around...
    So I have a money but not much places to spend it if u understand me....
    And it frustrates me even more...
    So i had an idea to move to USA coz it looks like much more accessible where ever u go and what ever u do...
    But then it came one after another... Bush..Iraq....Catrina...
    Bush = everyone is laughing in Europe at this guy....call him crazy cowboy....
    Iraq= Americans are duying every day and for what...some oil?
    Katrina = Oh man...I could not beleive it...when we had a war here, 15 years ago we put are refuges in 5 star hotels and best places, and u put them at stadiums fields???
    And also i realised that u have no health insurance like we have in Europe....here u have to pay some money for health insurace every month but even if u dont pay anything u can still get any medical care u need as long as u need it.... Tel me I'm wrong but it seems to me that u can die at street in USA (and no one cares!) if u have no medical insurance????

So after all...ur USA does not seem to be so nice place to live in....despite all advantages I still have in my had... Please tel me I'm wrong!

P.S.
    sorry for my really bad english. but I only learned it in school and from movies!

You make some good points flick

You may want to think about Canada, I am kinda thinking about Vancouver right now, it is real nice there without many of the problems of the USA.

flick - A lot of Hollywood elites are making much ado about their plans to live elsewhere. I wish them well and why are they taking so long?

Croatia has 13.8% unemployment. Not bad after a civil war. But I think a few able bodied Croatians would probably like to move to the USA. Would you agree?

I'm glad you earn seven times that of your average countryman. Having nowhere to spend all your money is a good problem to have. And being able to simply make your choice between USA and Canada is really great for you. Others are sacrificing everything they have in order to come here any way they can.

I don't think Iraq will affect you much if you decide to move to the US. Hurricanes can largely be avoided. So you might never be an evacuee who suffers from lack of a 4 star hotel. Since you´re used to working you might always have health coverage.

OTOH, Canada would probably be a great place for you to move. Especially if you don´t appreciate conservative values. You´ll find far fewer of those up North and likely be more comfortable.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

I second Vancouver BC, very wheelchair friendly. I would love to move there myself. By the way, your English is fine.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Lightbulb

Health care in America sucks plain and simple. I am working now just basically for insurance. I tried to get help, one place sent me to another place and they sent me back to the first place,. I was told by the state to basically forget it a man with life threatening seizures was just denied, he is or was a truck driver . pfft. They told me also I would have to pay for all the tests that the state needed to determine if i was crippled enough not to have to work. I was in a small room and a woman was looking in the newspaper for me a job and had the balls to tell me about factory work. I would have got a medical card and all the benefits of public aide if i had children. I went in the hospital for a week but checked myself out in two days. Crappy room service. A nurse i know has been a nurse for 35+ years and was told to treat people different if they have insurance, i can tell believe me. I have the best state insurance now and they kiss my ass. I do think America is ran by fat cat lobbiests and that is the reason for no health care. I have heart probs amung other crap and the stress from working is killing me, but on the bright side if i have a heart attack at least i have insurance.

don't do it

If I were making the choice, I would not even consider moving to a country that did not have a national health insurance plan. I have never been to Canada, but just from what I've read and seen, I think things must be better there in many ways.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Becoming Canadian is alot of buroucracy, esp if you're in a chair. They'll want to see you can make money without being a strain on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    flick - A lot of Hollywood elites are making much ado about their plans to live elsewhere. I wish them well and why are they taking so long?

Croatia has 13.8% unemployment. Not bad after a civil war. But I think a few able bodied Croatians would probably like to move to the USA. Would you agree?

I'm glad you earn seven times that of your average countryman. Having nowhere to spend all your money is a good problem to have. And being able to simply make your choice between USA and Canada is really great for you. Others are sacrificing everything they have in order to come here any way they can.

I don't think Iraq will affect you much if you decide to move to the US. Hurricanes can largely be avoided. So you might never be an evacuee who suffers from lack of a 4 star hotel. Since you´re used to working you might always have health coverage.

OTOH, Canada would probably be a great place for you to move. Especially if you don´t appreciate conservative values. You´ll find far fewer of those up North and likely be more comfortable.
    First, it was not a civil war but agression...
    Second, yes there are some Croatians who would like to move to USA but guess what...there are also a few Americans who would like to move to Croatia... :-)
    Just check the link...
    http://visitcroatia.proboards21.com/...board=property

flick - Interesting link. I'm glad that Croatia is doing so well.
    ~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Flick,
    If you have the money, why not check out a couple of places. You could vacation in San Diego and maybe Phoenix in the winter months and then visit Vancouver and Regina (Canada) in the Summer. Plan enough time to visit with people, see different medical facilities, and check housing availability. Have some fun! Shop, go clubbing, visit museums and amusement parks. Then make your decision. You may find that you prefer your current living situation. But that doesn't mean you have to stay there all the time.

Sandi