Thread: How do you complain about free help?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you complain about free help?

I've got a situation, and I don't know what to do about it. The old guy that lives across the street comes over and mows our lawn, sweeps away the pine needles and all kinds of other stuff. He's widowed and retired, and I think he just needs something to do or he's hitting on my mom. I appreciate the help, but he keeps leaving the gates to the back yard open, and when we let the dog out he gets out and roams the neighborhood.

I don't think my dog knew the gates opened until the guy left one open and he found it. After he discovered that the gates opened and the world beyond, he figured out how to lift the latches and push them open. I now have to chain the gates closed, but when the guy comes over he never puts the chains back on.

I just noticed today that the side gate is open. I can see it from the window in my room. He usually doesn't go through this gate, so I guess he was hauling out some fallen tree limbs or something. I'm not going to try and go close that gate with all the rain we've had, I'll probably get stuck in the mud or something.

The guy knows we have a dog, he calls us sometimes to bring him in so he can go back there. I guess he's just forgetful or something. I haven't said anything to him because I don't want sound ungreatful or anything, but I'm getting tired of having to go out 3 or 4 times a week to close and chain the gates.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Try, "Hey thanks. I appriciate your help, but can you please make sure that you chain the gate when you leave today. My dog keeps getting out and I don't want him getting hit by a car or something. That would be great... thanks Mister Neighbor."

I'm sure that something like that would work. I seriously doubt that you will loose his help or even offend him with that one.

My mother loves to make signs for things like that. She would have a sign laminated and hung on the gate that says please keep gate closed and locked. It is her polite yet sometime passive aggressive way of solving problems. My dog also learned about the "outside" world in a little different yet nice attempt to help me out. We put one of the swinging hinges that has a lock that clicks shut when it swings back. Don't know how big your gate is and if that will work or not.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by jplw
    Try, "Hey thanks. I appriciate your help, but can you please make sure that you chain the gate when you leave today. My dog keeps getting out and I don't want him getting hit by a car or something. That would be great... thanks Mister Neighbor."

I'm sure that something like that would work. I seriously doubt that you will loose his help or even offend him with that one.
    Oops, I left out that part. When I first put the chains on, he came to the door and asked why it was there. I told him the dog figured out how to open the gate so I had to keep the chain on there so he couldn't open it. Then my mom has reminded him a few times since then because we give him gas money for his mower.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.