Thread: Codes for accessibility to public buildings etc.

Codes for accessibility to public buildings etc.

Codes for accessibility to public buildings etc.

I know the US has pretty good codes/laws when it comes to how public space, buildings and official buildings shall be designed. I also know that these laws are specific. I have read parts of it but can’t find the total law or code.

And does each State have their own codes or is it a Fedreal issue?

Can anybody provide a link or something to the code/law?

Thanks Leif.
    Last edited by Leif; 09-25-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Hi Leif,
    Not totally sure, but I believe the ADA regulations are Federal, which means that all states adhere to same rules.
    It is my understanding that any building (public) that was built, OR renovated after 1990 must be handicap accessable.
    Curious what others have to say.
    Cathy

Thanks Cathy.

Yes me too. The reason I ask is due to over here specific regulations like this are missing. The codes are also more general – meaning there is more room for assessment so that our codes are more like guidelines.

It’s actually strange. I used to work with design of oil platforms (electrical). In this field we have plenty of laws, regulations and codes specifying the smallest design when it comes to the environment people shall be living under and perform their work; this is type of floor inside and outside, type of coating on it. Noise, the db level. The food quality. Inside humidity and air circulation. Type of doors and door widths. Height of railing and types. Stairs and lifts etc. etc. etc. Some says it can be too much here.

When it comes to a disabled person in a wheelchair onshore in public and official buildings the rules are gone.

Last edited by Leif; 09-25-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Post It can be both

Federal code is the basis for the accessibility law but states can create higher standard than Federal law if they wish. A good site to obtain information from as well as excellent links is http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm as well as http://www.adata.org/centers.htm.

Hope these links help. You can also go to http://www.paralysis.org and access the library. If you email the librarian or do a search she can send you a list of links and or books that address the ADA building compliance.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Great links cheesecake. Plenty of reading here I can see. Yes it makes sense that there is Federal codes as a basis and that States can make higher standards if they wish. Thanks Leif.

can you be more specific?

what and where are you looking for?
    T-10 complete
    10/08/01
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

I could be wrong but if the building is historic and does renovate it still does not have to comply with ADA. The building also has to put so much money into its renovation before it has to be fully accessible. There is also the grandfather clause which is a problem around here.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by Aly
    I could be wrong but if the building is historic and does renovate it still does not have to comply with ADA. The building also has to put so much money into its renovation before it has to be fully accessible. There is also the grandfather clause which is a problem around here.
    It's my understanding that even if it's a historic building and you renovate, if it's a public building it has to meet the new codes. I could be wrong on this, but it is what I've been tenatively told regarding the historic bldg that I purchased & plan to turn into a community theatre. The Historic designations have to allow for an addition to meet ADA requirements, however the addition must compliment the historic structure yet not attempt to portray itself as part of the original structure.

When I get more into the theatre business and ready to work on the addition/mods to meet standards, I'll let 'yall know what I do find out.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by ~Patrick~
    can you be more specific?

what and where are you looking for?
    Patric

More specific? Well I’m not quite sure here actually, but basically I’m looking for the laws, codes and standards in the US that regulates how the public space, the public and official buildings shall be designed and built so it doesn’t discriminate disabled people, say peoples in a wheelchair. I did find some information on the links posted above, but of course I have not been able to read through it yet.

I am interested in the US codes on this field to compare it with the codes over here. This because I believe the US codes is better and more specific than here. I also know there are special codes for historic buildings etc. I was more thinking in general and for new public buildings and public space. I also did see a piece you wrote or are in the process of writing regarding ADA research paper in another thread (good). So what I want is; at this stage it is to collect information and understand the information and then compare it with the codes over here and then see if there is something we should try to change. Thanks Leif. And please ask me more questions if required.
    Last edited by Leif; 09-26-2005 at 03:06 AM.

And by the way; how is the Canadian lawmaking and codes in this field. How are the Canadian codes compared to the US codes etc. Do some of the countries codes have advantages and where are the advantages? Thanks.