Thread: Very Little to No Sense of Smell

Question Very Little to No Sense of Smell

Do any other quads have no sense of smell? Dennis has not had sense of smell, unless the odor is VERY strong since he was in rehab. For a while after injury he did have the sense of smell, but it has been almost non-existent for two years now.

He is C5/6.

any thoughts?

Thanks.

smell

same with Jim, c5, TBI also, for 5 years.

Hi Meg,

Some people do report a change in their sense of smell following SCI. Check this out as it explains some of this:

http://carecure.org/forum/archive/in...p/t-37378.html

If you have further questions, let me know.

AAD

Meg-

I also lost my sense of smell. As i understand it, the nerves going thru the sinus cavity were actually severed by a small bone plate from the impact in my fall. The sinuses are a very spongey type substance that the nerves have to work their way back through. This is apparently a fairly common injury b/c of the way the sinuses are constructed...It's not to say that it won't come back. Sometimes I can smell things but most of the time I can't. Usually if I can, it catches me off guard. From what I understand the way the sinuses are designed/constructed, this is a protective feature...as in whereas it does damage the nerves & they have to grow back & find their way back thru the cavities, it protects from further damage in a severe trauma somehow. That's apparently what that small bone plate is there for. I hope that This all makes sense to you. I had to keep pressing to find out EXACTLY why besides it was "a side effect" of the accident/injury. I have a good ENT that explained it to me. I hope I am explaining it right.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

No smell

Hey Meg,
    I'm a C6/7 quad. About 1 1/2 years after my SCI I lost all sense of smell and taste. I hear this is not common but does occur to cervical SCI'S in the C5,6,7 range.

I do not believe I have had any deterioration in my sense of smell. Although, as a wine connoisseur postinjury I wish I had a better nose :-)
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Thanks for the replies.

His sense of taste is in tact, but he says a bit different than pre-SCI. He can smell sometimes if the odor is very strong, which usually means it is not a pleasant odor.

Meg