Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lyrcia for neuropathic pain, has anyone tried this?

Quote Originally Posted by timdog65
    i'm a t-4 t-5 para who i suffering from server nerve pain in my stomach its getting really really bad i cant take it no more if feels like my muscles n my stomach are squeezing the life outta out of me can anyone help i'm at my last wind my dr's no help so i turn 2 my own kind 4 help. is lyrica the new drug 4 nerve pain i took nuronton 4 2yrs n it stopped working now ineed yalls help i dnt no how much longer i can hold on like this its stealing my joy
    You might ask about Klonopin or lorazepam. The are benzodiazepines. My chest muscles were doing the same thing, contracting to the point I could barely breath. I could do a major deep breath to stretch the rib cage, and it would be fine for half a day, but they would slowly get tight, and tighter and tighter.........

I have been on Lyric for 4 days and have been tired, sleepiness, showing sign of depression, nervousness, absent minded. Haven't seen enough difference in pain to stay with all the side effects. Definitely don't need weight gain. I tried it for the shooting pains and muscle fibrillations through out body. Better and longer living through chemistry. Have to think about that sometimes.

snafu

Talking Lyrica

I have been on 150mg 2x' s daily for two years. I has been much more productive and extremely helpful for severe nerve pain from an injury I suffered four years ago. I had a lot less side effects than neurontin for me, and actually gave me back my life. I use this with 40mg per day of Elevil, maybe the combo has done the trick! I have noticed one strange thing about the Lyrica.... If I forget to take it in the morning I before progressively more and more irritable throughout the day. Has anyone noticed this side effect when tapering down?

Blog Entries

Since you asked......my experience with Lyrica>

My evolution to Lyrica, under the care of Mt Sinai, (NY) to Kessler (NJ), to LIJ/ North Shore Medical (NY) was as follows:

Mt Sinai Hosp- Baclofin> for spasms/pain but made me sleep thru rehab. switched to Neurontin, mediocre results.

Kessler- titrated up Neurontin with minimal results, then graduated to Gabapentin, 3x per day, titrated up to max. (2,400mg?) Just another 'horse pill' that is only minimally metabolized as I learned. Added Topomax > zero help for pain.

LIJ- tried Lyrica, titrated up to 600mg, adding 100mg per mo, got only blrry vision. reduced to 300mg.
    My thoughts are that it does squat for my pain.

what's next FDA?

Banned
    Boles Arkansas out in the middle of nowhere
    I have been suffering from low back pain for over 20 years. I bent over to move a coffee table and the next day I couldn't move my legs. Went to er and they sent me home with flexeril and said just take it easy for a few. I was 24. I had severe problems with this for yrs to the point I couldn'y move without it feeling like I was beeing cut in half. But I never really had any ins. so I didn't see Dr.s. I moved back to my home state in 96. I had suffered a broken ankle and walking with a cast was causing me severe pain. My dad took x-rays and says your L5-S1 disc is gone and you've got arthritis all up and down your spine.. My old family Dr. says you've got a herinated disc there...I said that explains the burning in my legs when I lay down, it's been doing that for yrs. Well being newly divorced mother of 2 I had to go to work......I did provider care and that was not really a good Idea. Now mind you...I was not getting anything for pain at all. Nothing nada, zilch. My new job included light house keeping which required me to sweep and mop. (I had carpet and a teenage daughter to help me out) Well needless to say when I started moping and sweeping others floors I ended up with horrible pain in my lower extremities and would be unable to walk upright for days. My old family Dr. wouldn't give me anything for pain because he didn't want me to become addicted to anything. But finally broke down and started giving me 1 mg of xanax 3 times a day and 350 mg of soma 3 times a day. Didn't really help with any of the pain but I really didn't care that I hurt. Fast foward to 2002, Can't get rid of this "crick" I've had in my neck for months and my chest hurts so bad and is so tight......I think I'm having heart trouble. I get an x-ray and old doc says. your having muscle spasms in your chest. Up the dose of Soma. Well the neck pain gets worse and still uninsured I fanagle myself into an er in another state as an indegent. they make an appointment for 2 months later. At the appt. they tell me I need an mri....another 2 months later I get the mri......the tech comes out after and says "girl you definately got something going on in the back of your neck. I get no treatment and no explanation of what is "going on". Live with pain in neck and back for another 5 yrs. Had a slight wreck last yr. At fault didn't have ins. so They did take me to hospital to see about arm. Transported me to other hospital to see ortho for surgery on arm. Plate and screws. Haven't been able to work since and tell him neck has really been bothering me bad and I'm in tears all the time because of it. (Ihad applied for disability 3 times and always no). Well he does mri of neck and asks me what the hell I did to myself......I don't know.
    That was last yr. I am waiting for my disability hearing and I get this letter from my lawyer since I had to have surgery in my arm again because ofthe plate being broke and the nerve being all tangled in it.
    My lawyer sends me this and it says...according to my ortho doc that I have horrible bone on bone arthritis with spondylolisthesis. with canal stenosis and formaninal stenosis in my lower back with disk protrusion. And also the x-rays showed right angulation deformity in my right arm, a risdual broken screw in the humurus and residual radial nerve palsy. Well he never told me that. Then it says that I have protruding and ruptured disc, spondylitic spurring, canal stenosis, formaninal stenosis, spurring, compression on the thecal sac, narrowing of the inferior foramen and other more severe problems at C2-3, C3-4,C4-5,C5-6,and C6-7. The orthopedic Dr. said I was in bad shape but never told me all this......But it does explain the fact that I haven't been not 1 day in my life since probably 1998 without pain in my body. It never goes away and most days it takes my breath away. I cry about it and try to explain to my family how bad I hurt and I've been told to suck it up......get over it......take some Aleve or if you'd just get up and move around you'll feel better. I have no ins. and the orthopedic dr. sent me to see a pain doc. I had to borow the 300 it cost me to see him. He gave me some meds 1 time and it was all I could do to get them filled. He told me when I get my disability to come back. When I was wanting to die from the pain in my arm because the plate was compressing the nerve the ortho doc wouldn't see me because my bill from last year had gone to collection. So I went to the er at the hospital where they did the surgery and told them he wouldn't see me. He couldn't get there fast enough. They admitted me and started me on morphine drip and 4 days later they took the plate out. Took him 4 hours to dissect it out from around the nreve. When I went to see him for my follow up he told me he could give me something mild for pain but nothing else.....he gave me my scripts and told me to get the hell out and not to bother him again. His nurse prctioner gave me a script for Lryca for my fibromyalgia but I can't afford to get it filled. That and some Talwin.....As far as I'm concerned thats like giving a gunshot to the chest a babd aid and some tylenol. I have been ready to eat a bullet more times that you can imagine.......Where can somebody on the shape I'm in get some kind of help. The pfizer is helping me get the Lryca for free for a year since I have no income. My state doesn't have charity hospitals and now that gas is $4 a gallon I can't drive 3 ours to see my old doc for any pain meds....hell I can't drive any more any way....can't turn my head to see if traffic is coming......It has taken me almost 3 hours to type this out because of the cramps I get in my arm ad in my neck sitting in front of the computer. and also the ortho doc is the one that screwed up the plate in my arm last year.....he bent it putting it in and it finally snapped......thats why he is being such an ass to me....scared I will sue him I guess. Well sorry for this being so long but I rarely get to vent and I'm sure most of you know how that is.....The lyrica......Is it going to help me with any of the pain I have....or am I going to have to resort to that bullet. My lawyer says I have a year probably before I get a hearing for my disabilty. I don't know what to do til then?????? I would love some feed back and or suggestions.....Thank you for listening.

What state are you in which does not have a public hospital?

Banned
    I live in Arkansas. The hospital I was in voided out my bill because of my income level but I can't find a Dr. to help me out with any type of treatment because I can't pay. The pain doc I saw that one time was given me zanaflex 4 mg and 5 mg oxycodone for pain....he did slide me a few somas with that but he doesn't like to rx that......but he wouldn't give me anything else after that because he wanted me to do those lumbar injections and I couldn't afford that....thats when he said he wouldn't see me any more until I get my medicaid. The only time in my life that I didn't have pain was when the were shooting me full of fentanyl before the surgery on my arm(2nd time) and It was nice not to hurt for that little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by rgeebee
    I live in Arkansas. The hospital I was in voided out my bill because of my income level but I can't find a Dr. to help me out with any type of treatment because I can't pay. The pain doc I saw that one time was given me zanaflex 4 mg and 5 mg oxycodone for pain....he did slide me a few somas with that but he doesn't like to rx that......but he wouldn't give me anything else after that because he wanted me to do those lumbar injections and I couldn't afford that....thats when he said he wouldn't see me any more until I get my medicaid. The only time in my life that I didn't have pain was when the were shooting me full of fentanyl before the surgery on my arm(2nd time) and It was nice not to hurt for that little bit.
    Google "Arkansas Free Medical Clinics" for resources of which you may not be aware. I just did and found a wealth of info. You'll have to dig through it as certain programs are for HIV pos individals, some for homeless persons, others for those who are uninsured and/or medically underserved like you.

The clinics most often assist with health conditions/injuries/diseases which don't necessitate an e.r. trip and sometimes certain chronic conditions for those who are uninsired or under-insured.

Free medical clinics can sometimes provide referrals to physical therapists who agree to give of their time and skills. I don't know if you have received p/t referrals in the past, but it might be worth a shot.

Chances are you will not find a doctor who will write scripts for you for pain meds. Doctors often view such requests as drug seeking, especially at a free clinic.

What are you doing for catheters and bowel program supplies (gloves)/meds or are your injuries more of an orthopaedic nature?

P.S. Any chance you or your husband served in the military?

Banned
    No my husband did not serve in the military.....and as far as what am i doing for any kind of treatment at all....nothing.....the only reason I got the rx for the lyrica was because the nerve pain I was having from the broken plate in my arm put me back into the hospital. And I guess it's more of an orthopedic problem.....I have just recently found out that I was probably born without the L5-S1 disc. But as far as my other problems in my neck I don't know what the hell happened. It's not like I was some kind of thrill seeker and got all banged up and stuff. I have seen my cervical mri and it is just awful....(my dad was a radioligist so I do have an understanding of such things). I am really tired of people blowing me off about my pain. I have already been told that once I get approved for medicaid it's going to take alot of surgery to stablize my neck and back. That scares me alot. But I would literally sell my soul just to not have pain for 1 day. Charley horses in my neck and upper back, down my legs and the bottoms of my feet. I can't remember the klast time I didn't have needle prick tingling down my arms and legs. And that ortho doc telling me that my arm pain is because of all that mess in my neck and then blowing me off like he did!!!!! It hurts so bad I don't even want anybody to touch it. And the muscles in it are always cramped up and hard because of it. And I go through this every day.....not sleeping and basically not caring anymore.....Do any of you think that the Lyrica will give me some kind of relief at all. Am already extremely greatful for the info so far. Thanks for that LaMemChose