Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lyrcia for neuropathic pain, has anyone tried this?

Lyrcia for neuropathic pain, has anyone tried this?

I have full body neuropathic pain that is very, very, very bad & my SCI Doctor called me yesterday about this new drug Lyrica. He said that he put one of his patients on it & they had good results with it.

So I was wondering if anyone here has tired this yet & if so what do you think?
    This is the site I looked at: www.lyrica.com/cwpb/v1/begin.do?null

Lyrica

I asked my doctor about switching me to Lyrica from Neurontin and he told me that he saw no difference in effectiveness between the two drugs. As I understand it, Lyrica is Pfizers replacement for Neurontin. Perhaps others on this website have had different experiences.
    mike

Mike, I think it's too early to tell whether it's the same. As I understand it, an advantage to Lyrica is that the body doesn't metabolize it as fast, so you don't need to take it as often. I take 600 mg of gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) four times a day as the half-life of gabapentin is about five hours.

Using Lyrica for neuropathic pain associated with sci is "off-label" so there has not been research on it with sci. Using gabapentin for sci is off-label as well, Neurontin was originally FDA approved for treatment of epileptic seizures. It's been around long enough for us to know that it at least helps some people.

My guess is that some of us may find Lyrica better, others not. Some of us may have side effects from it, others not. I intend to try it soon .. I've been waiting for it to be approved.

Anyone out there taking it yet?

I'll probably wind up trying it. Nothing better to do.

It has to be taken less often than Neurontin? Does that mean three times a day or twice a day? I know the required dosage is much lower.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I think if it is found that Lyrica is a longer lasting drug I would have to consider the cost. Neurontin is available in the generic version gabapentin which is far less expensive, particularly in Canada, then Neurontin. I am sure that Lyrica will be extremely expensive, so if I have to take a drug more often and it cost twice as much, with all of the drugs I take, I might choose the inconvenience of medicating more often and save the money. Now if it is found that Lyrica does not cause edema or memory problems, then it would be worth some extra cost to me.
    mike

Arrow Lyrica

Quote Originally Posted by bruce
    Mike, I think it's too early to tell whether it's the same. As I understand it, an advantage to Lyrica is that the body doesn't metabolize it as fast, so you don't need to take it as often. I take 600 mg of gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) four times a day as the half-life of gabapentin is about five hours.

Using Lyrica for neuropathic pain associated with sci is "off-label" so there has not been research on it with sci. Using gabapentin for sci is off-label as well, Neurontin was originally FDA approved for treatment of epileptic seizures. It's been around long enough for us to know that it at least helps some people.

My guess is that some of us may find Lyrica better, others not. Some of us may have side effects from it, others not. I intend to try it soon .. I've been waiting for it to be approved.

Anyone out there taking it yet?

I have started taking it as of 9-29-05. I was on neuronton for many years at 2400mg per day. I am also on other pain meds with it. Ultracet is one of them at 8x per day. Had to drop down in dosage b4 switching over. Have not been on it long enough yet to tell is there is any diff. Will try to keep posted on it. rwj

lyrica

My husband has been on lyrica for several months now, they do help a little with the pain, but he does get side effects, putting on weight is a problem since he started taking them, but for him the side effects seem to be less than when he was taking Neurontin, and the dosage is a lot lower. You can but try. Good luck

Banned
    I have been on Neurontin for about ten years at a dose of 2400mg per day which is the recommended maximum in the UK. Last year I asked to to be changed to Lyrica which my doctor approved and I did so by reducing my Neurontin to about 1200mg and then introducing the Lyrica at a starting dose of 300mg. Over the next few weeks I continued to reduce the Neurontin and increase the Lyrica until I was finally on 1200mg of Lyrica per day in 4 divided doses.

Over the following weeks and months (about 6 months in all) I noticed the following effects. An increase in pain, particularly shooting and stabbing pains, a further increase in memory loss and general mental confusion, a very disturbing tremor in both hands, some hitherto inexperienced muscle cramps, an increase in my long standing (no pun intended) osteoarthritis and an increase in my blood sugar level. The latter may not necessarily have been a direct result of Lyrica.

After being on Lyrica for about 8 months I decided I could no longer stand the side effects and that the Neurontin was anyhow the better drug for me with regard to pain relief especially with regard to shooting pain. I therefore went back onto Neurontin by reversing the procedure above. I am now back on 2400mg of Neurontin along with 30mg Oxycontin (slow release) per day. I find this drug programme gives me the best relief from pain, burning etc that I have so far found. The increased side effects of Lyrica have now subsided and returned to the “normal” side effects of Neurontin.

I dislike posting negatively about a drug or any kind of therapy, so please don’t think I am suggesting anyone rejects trying Lyrica because as we all know how each of us responds differently to all types of therapy. I would like to add however that I am very suspicious of Pfizer and suspect that Lyrica – which I understand is little more than a very much stronger version of Neurontin – was introduced to take over when the licence on Neurontin ran out. I understand that Pfizer held the new drug back for 3 years before “allowing” it to take over.

This has been my experience and my opinion of Lyrica.

Jake

Thumbs up Lyrica

I have been weened off neuronton and am now on 300mg of Lyrica. I was on 2400 mg of Neuronton for 7 years. I am also on ultracet x8 per day.( History in brief,)[ I have had some procedures done to sever certian nerves in my back to help reduce some of the pain and skin sensitivity. Also had shoting pains and burning in leg. I couldn't have anything touch my skin , would be in sever pain.] I have noticed an improvement in pain. It has decreased somewhat over the level on Neuronton. Only side effects that I have had is increase in lightheadedness and balance is off a little more than before. I also seem to be al little more tired than before. Unless something changes in side effects I am satisfied with the change in meds. It does , for me anyway, help a little and at this point in time any help or improvement is a welcome one. rwj I would advise anyone to at least try Lyrica. It may help you .
    Last edited by ceron2; 10-08-2005 at 01:07 AM.

After reviewing the responses it appears that Lyrica works better with some folks then with others. I guess the same is true with Gabapentin versus Neurontin even though they are suppose to be the same. Looking at the Pfizer website http://www.drugdevelopment-technolog...ts/pregabalin/, it is interesting to note that they do not claim that their is any increase in effectiveness for pain relief,which they would certainly claim if they had evidence, but state that since lower doses are required there should be less side effects. The conclusion that I would draw from all of this is that Lyrica is not really a better drug for CP but as is the case in all drugs in may work better with some folks then others.
    mike