Thread: Low blood pressure - extreme case

Low blood pressure - extreme case

Would symptoms of Low blood pressure be indication of AD as well?
    Sx: Dizziness, light-headedness, spotty vision, nauseousness, breathing difficulty and chest constriction, headache (tho different from high BP headaches), etc.

Extreme and sudden drop of blood pressure can result in fainting, with eyes rolling back into head and foaming at mouth; with numbing of body and paralysis (complete loss of control); mentally not cognizant and inability to articulate even if partially cognizant; trouble breathing; headache and nauseousness.

So... above symptoms could result in same things as High BP - AD, such as stroke, brain damage, death? Longer symptoms last, greater risk, I assume, but what is approximate danger limit (if that makes sense)? ie from like few seconds of passing out/unconsciousness to several minutes to even 10-15 minutes of becoming unconscious and to point of foaming at mouth.

Thanks.

AD is always associated with an increase in blood pressure. When the high blood pressure of AD is treated with medications (such as nitroglycerine, clonidine, nifedipine, etc) a persons blood pressure can drop quickly and low blood pressure can occur which is the reason blood pressure is checked every 5 min when treating AD.

Low blood pressure can casue the symptoms you described, mainly due to lack of blood flow and consequently lack of oxygen to the brain. The longer the symptoms go untreated, the more severe the complications. If left untreated, this can result in brain damage, shock and death. The amount of time
    is difficult to quantify.

AAD

I take no meds for AD or low BP.
    I am aware of and am used to the symptoms of both Low BP and AD with high BP, and take precautions as needed and know what I need to do when experience extreme incidences. The symptoms described in first post earlier was most extreme ever experienced and lasting longest - from 10-15 minutes of actually having passed out unconscious, with subsequent diminished cognition/lucidity for a couple hours, and problems breathing and nauseousness lasting approx 10 hours.

I had surgery less than a day before and under general anesthsia, and experiencing constant AD Sx's, with high BP related to temp foley also, so Im sure possibly contributing factor, but was curious if there was AD - hypo dysreflexia, low bp.

Thanks for response.
    Last edited by chick; 09-23-2005 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo

i don't know if it would be safe for you to take because i see you get ad quite often, but i suffer from constant low bp and i take midorine which elevates and stabalizes my bp. i take 10mg. i don't get ad much, only a few times.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I didn't realize you had surgery just the day before. The low BP could have been from post-anethesthia or other medications given during surgery. It is troublesome that you had loss of consciousness for that period of time. Please inform your doctor of this. Did you have any abnormal movements prior to loss of consciousness or any history of seizures, do you?

AAD

Thanks for responses here, AAD, cali and Liz.

Mostly, I was curious about the AD and low blood pressures, and so I would also have better sense of addressing it. Marmalady posted question here in thread: AD quesion for the nurses..... I'm not familiar with the condition indicated there or what the specific symptoms would be. I'll be interested to read more on it as her question is further addressed.

Cali, I don't wish to take any medication for AD or low BP, despite experiencing varying degrees of it on a regular basis. I have been injured more than quite a long time and have adjusted to those symptoms and would prefer to deal with them in other ways - ie for LBP, wear binder and drink LOTS I have pretty high tolerance for 'stuff' and am fairly controlled in how I respond to eff'd up situations and things my body goes/is put thru.

AD also helps me to gauge what I need to do regarding bladder, etc, as it is my body informing me of what is goin on and what it needs me to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-NURSE
    The low BP could have been from post-anethesthia or other medications given during surgery. It is troublesome that you had loss of consciousness for that period of time. Please inform your doctor of this. Did you have any abnormal movements prior to loss of consciousness or any history of seizures, do you?
    AAD, yes, I needed to leave much earlier than they wanted to keep me to allow anesthesia to wear off etc. but was relatively stable (surg. 7:30 am Weds and LBP episode Thurs 5 am.). This and many other factors contributed to the LBP episode - from not having eaten much, decreased fluid intake due to foley draining problems and subsequent continuous AD Sx's, bowel prog during passing out, not putting binder on knowing these conditions, etc.. pca getting scared and holding me/torso upright as I flopped over to keep me from falling (worse thing to do)...
    but the effects were sudden and immediate, with greater/extreme physiological reactions, unlike typically having blurred and spotty vision, lightheadedness and some constriction in head, before passing out.
    Anyway, no, never had seizures other than the physical effects resulting from LBP and hyper AD.
    I maybe should see neurologist regarding this as well? I do need to follow-up with neuro for other issues but this may be something they need to be informed on?

oh, 1 more thing- RE foley in bladder:
    can bladder resist having foley in and not drain continuously, after being intermittent cathed? Foley is not clogged, but will not drain unless first jump started - ie with irrigation/suction. Bladder was retaining up to 800cc's first day, but now feel pressures around 200-300 and will not retain. Foley is larger 14 fr. than catheter used for intermittent 12 fr. This btw is also in mitro stoma. So, needing to use irrigation syringe every couple hours to release/drain...thus question is, does bladder learn to retain even with indwelling foley and if so, why/what causes? Thx.
    Last edited by chick; 09-25-2005 at 04:56 PM. Reason: 1 more thing....

On the other AD thread, I asked Wise to comment as I never heard of LBP with AD. Maybe the other Nurse Moderators have information on this as well.

For AD on an outpatient setting, no further treatment is needed for AD usually since you would be checking bladder/bowels/restrictive clothing,etc. That is usually enough for the BP to go down.

RE: the LBP episode, you mentioned several things that could cause this. Did you fully recover? Any past history of this? If you are seeing a neurologist for other things, i would mention the passing out.

Re the bladder, I am a little unclear. You are cathing through a mitro stoma?
    Have you switched to a foley? It is possible for a foley to hit against a wall infrequently, but not every time. If you ahve a foley, why are you having to jumpstart it everytime? Clarifying will help. Thanks

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    RE: the LBP episode, you mentioned several things that could cause this. Did you fully recover? Any past history of this? If you are seeing a neurologist for other things, i would mention the passing out.
    Ummm... I think? I haven't had any lingering symptoms since the weekend.

Re the bladder, I am a little unclear.
    You are cathing through a mitro stoma?
    Have you switched to a foley? It is possible for a foley to hit against a wall infrequently, but not every time. If you ahve a foley, why are you having to jumpstart it everytime? Clarifying will help.
    I have a mitro stoma, on which I had a revision - the surgery mentioned.
    The foley is to be temporary, approx. week - so possibly to be taken out later this week. This is first time having indwelling since prior revision in '03. The initial mitro procedure was in '00.
    Despite the foley, the bladder is retaining and not void unless it is jumpstarted with a bit of suction - ie irrigation syringe, either with saline to flush or alone w/o saline. Was advised to irrigate 3 times a day while w/foley, but Foley clogging is not the problem. I am having slight flushing and constriction sensation when bladder seems to spasm and want to void (out urethra), an indication I am using to do the irrigation suction, though I have been just generally doing it every couple hours since lower abdomen seems to feel a bit spasmy and throbbing every couple hrs. Avg. output have increased a bit again to approx 4-500 cc's since earlier voiding over weekend, where bladder would void seemingly at 100 cc's or just continuously.

So, despite the foley in the mitro stoma, I am in essence intermittently cathing through the foley. I was wondering if bladders become adjusted to retaining and resist urine output even with a foley in them. However, as I mentioned earlier, bladder is not holding my usual avg of 800-900, except for the first day with foley, which resulted in high AD Sx's.
    Last edited by chick; 09-27-2005 at 03:26 PM.

my BP has been pretty good lately....at home. after struggling thru carpet at my dr. visit yesterday, my BP was 74/40, hmmm. they used a wrist type meter too.