Thread: ICSI result negative

Angry ICSI result negative

Anyone in Southern California that can refer my wife and I to a quality fertility center/doctor? We went through our first ICSI cycle and got a big fat negative. We did this at the Huntington Reproductive Center. We were more upset and angry than anything else because we felt the place was like an assembly line. They refused to validate parking, appointments were always overbooked so we had to wait sometimes an hour to see the doctor, the medication schedules were hand written and hard to understand.

Anyways here are some questions for people who have gone through this several times.

1. Does it really matter how good the urologist is since he is just extracting the sperm? I did sperm aspiration with syringe, not biopsy, the first time.

2. We only harvested 8 eggs last time. Seems kind of low. Does this mean her medications/shots doses were too conservative? My wife is 30 and all preliminary tests said she is healthy.

3. Is there really a correlation between the days of bed rests after transfer and success?

4. Is there a correlation between exercise and the quality of eggs?

Any advice would be appreciated. We just want to know what we can do to increase or chances the next time around.

1. The first one I can't answer

2. I had 8 eggs too and they said that was perfekt because if you have more, the eggs are small and difficult to fertilize.

3. They say no, everybody I know has gone to work the next day without rest

4. Eat healty, don't smoke and stay away from coffee. And take folic acid some month in front.

Many couples in Norway are using acupuncture besides
    I did it in Sweden because at that time it was forbidden to do it on disable people in Norway. I was pregnant at first try but I have a friend who has gotten UTIs all three times and she did not get pregnant.

Some people use a little aspirin besides, I would not have done that without the doctor's recommendation.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I got this information from the website of another fertility clinic. Anyone think this is valid? The description below seems very much like our first IVF/ICSI cycle.

The way these programs often work is to schedule a large group of patients to undergo their IVF cycles at the same time by putting them all on birth control pills for a month or longer. In many of these patients, the use of birth control pill suppression will ultimately blunt their response to stimulation resulting in fewer eggs recovered or cancellation of the cycle due to poor response. The date of the egg retrieval may be actually scheduled before the stimulation phase begins. This is done so that there will not be too many egg retrieval procedures on any one day, making it easier for the doctors and the laboratory staff. Unfortunately, this means that in many cases the eggs will be retrieved either too early or too late, which results in eggs of poorer quality leading to a reduced number of good embryos to transfer. In an attempt to make up for this, the number of embryos transferred may be increased above what is normally considered appropriate. Additionally, the cycle may be conducted with only two or three ultrasound and blood tests performed during the entire time, since the day of egg retrieval has been pre-determined. This is one more way that the ultimate success of the cycle is compromised. Each woman going through IVF has individual medication needs and responds to these medications in their own way. In order to maximize the number and quality of the eggs retrieved, it is necessary to perform ultrasound and blood tests at least every other day after the first three days, and every day towards the end. It is clear that if a couple is forced to accept a treatment regimen that makes it less likely that they will become pregnant from IVF just so that they can bring the costs down to an advertised “low price”, serious consideration must be given as to whether or not this represents a real advantage. Most of the time when the cycle has finished, the couple has spent about $10,000-$12,000 anyway after all of the so-called “extras” are included.

walkanotherday,

Don't be disheartened, IVF is still relatively new in the medical world. And success rates are still quite low for reasons as yet unknown.
    We had two goes before we got pregnant (she's six weeks old today!). I, too, was very disappointed when the first attempt didn't work, because I am healthy and there's 'technically' nothing to stop me from getting pregnant. All I can say is persevere with it.. it's not a perfect system yet.

1. Does it really matter how good the urologist is since he is just extracting the sperm? I did sperm aspiration with syringe, not biopsy, the first time.

I think the sperm extraction is important. You'd want ot make sure that the sample is pure enough for optimal motility.

2. We only harvested 8 eggs last time. Seems kind of low. Does this mean her medications/shots doses were too conservative? My wife is 30 and all preliminary tests said she is healthy.

8 eggs is fine. I had 13 follicles extracted but only four of them were viable, only three of them fertilised.

3. Is there really a correlation between the days of bed rests after transfer and success?

I don't know statistically, but I was told to 'take it easy' for the two weeks between tranfer and the result. The first time I didn't pay much heed, the second (successful) time I did, though this could just be coincedence.

4. Is there a correlation between exercise and the quality of eggs?

A female has her lifetime supply of eggs at the time of birth, so eggs are effected throughout her lifetime. However, healthy living his highly correlate with healthy pregnancy. Folate is a good suppliment to take and healthy eating will prepare her bod well for the pregnancy. I recently read a report that IVF babies have lower risks of heart disease and allergic reaction, this was attributed to the fact that people who go through IVF generally prepare their body for the pregnancy well before implatation. Eating helthy and maintaining a good exercise routine won't hurt at all.

If you are at all unhappy with the way you were treated or the process at one fertility clinic, I would suggest finding a different one, stress *could* contribute to the outcome, the process is stressful enough without contributing to it more.

All the very best of luck with it.. I hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by Tash; 09-26-2005 at 12:41 AM.