Thread: Back from bladder augmentation surgery!

Back from bladder augmentation surgery!

Anyone else had to irrigate with Mucomist?

Stuff smells damn horrible.

Proof is in the cathing, so will have foley in until
    2 more weeks.

Should I stop ditropan xl?

Joe
    And the truth shall set you free.

I didn't have augm just mitro and I still take ditropan. Glad to hear things went well.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

I had the surgery in '97 and haven't taken ditropan or leaked since, which is the case for many people who have the surgery. There's a good chance you might not need ditropan, but maybe you should check with your uroligist first.

Welcome home.

I took 5mg ditropan 2-3/day pre-augmentation. Had the surgery in May and forgot or wasn't directed to quit ditropan but was suppose to. Been off of it about 3 weeks without problems. Thing is, with augmentation they slice the top of your bladder in two...this helps it be not so spastic, yay.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november
    Welcome home.

I took 5mg ditropan 2-3/day pre-augmentation. Had the surgery in May and forgot or wasn't directed to quit ditropan but was suppose to. Been off of it about 3 weeks without problems. Thing is, with augmentation they slice the top of your bladder in two...this helps it be not so spastic, yay.
    November, I agree with Jack that people should check with their urologist regarding the ditropan. Everything depends on the pressure in the bladder. If it is high, it may still cause some urinary reflux into the ureters. It doesn't hurt to check.

Wise.

I had the surgery in '96 was off bladder meds for awhile. Then had bouts of sweating and went back on a regime of ditropan 5mg at night.

everyone's bladder is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    November, I agree with Jack that people should check with their urologist regarding the ditropan. Everything depends on the pressure in the bladder. If it is high, it may still cause some urinary reflux into the ureters. It doesn't hurt to check.

Wise.
    Thanx Wise. It was my uro that was wondering why he was still getting calls from the pharmacy to refill my prescription. I maybe forgot he told me to stop taking it. Guess I need to get followup tests to see where my pressures are or should I just wait a year or whatever since I'm having no issues? Usually isn't urodynamics suppose to be done yearly?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november
    It was my uro that was wondering why he was still getting calls from the pharmacy to refill my prescription. I maybe forgot he told me to stop taking it. Guess I need to get followup tests to see where my pressures are or should I just wait a year or whatever since I'm having no issues? Usually isn't urodynamics suppose to be done yearly?
    Nov, a urologist is NOT just to conduct a urodynamics once a year. Any time you have questions and/or need to address some issue related to your bladder, especially if it regards changes in medication, consult with your urologist or at least the primary nurse working with him (and stop rolling your yes at me, do as I say, not as I do!). Perhaps your last urodynamics indicated pressures being fine enough for your doctor to recommend you stop, but before you suddenly stop, call the doctors office, describe your situation and find out if that is best for you to do until your next appointment, which you will schedule during the call. If you are not completely comfortable stopping all doses immediaely, perhaps you can reduce the amount you take per dose, thus gradually cutting back and assessing how your bladder responds. Mke sure to keep careful record of fluid intake/output and ditropan mg taken, incl when/how often you are reducing amount - this will not only help you gauge how your bladder respond and possible effects of ditropan, but also be helpful for the urologist to know.

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz
    - Anyone else had to irrigate with Mucomist?
    - Should I stop ditropan xl?
    Irrigation is important now. You will have a LOT of mucous, which is normal, and this will need to be cleared. Mucous can easily clog up your foley and prevent drainage, potentially causing AD, urine retention and/or reflux.

Is Mucomist a brand of Acedic Acid (sp)? Acedic Acid is used for irrigation when something stronger than regular saline is needed. This can kinda smell vinegery.

No, do not stop taking ditropan if your doctor has prescribed it and since you just had your surgery. Why would you want to stop and have you asked your dr. about it?

BTW. I do not taken any bladder meds, having stopped soon after my augment/mitro. I was prescribed ditropan xl after the procedure and did take it for a little while until I adjusted to my bladder (capacity, incl. response time after fluid intake, and sensations, etc) and recognized no longer a need.

I would also check with the urologist as to how long you need to irrigte with Mucomist. It shouldn't be inidefinitely.

AAD