Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you make yourself be happy?

Can you make yourself be happy?

Why don't we decide to be happy or is it can't? Can you be content or are some destined to be miserable by their own volition?

Im just a naturally happy person myself...I wake up happy,eat happy,shit happy..will you get the picture,i just kinda wish i could skip...

Harder still, how do you make yourself happy in spite of the circumstances? Most of us can relate to this: if the thought of being paralysed and impotent for life depresses you, how can you make yourself happy?

Because there's always someone worse off ...
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Cris
    Why don't we decide to be happy or is it can't? Can you be content or are some destined to be miserable by their own volition?
    I’m also a happy and positive person. Still not as happy as before the sci. I miss the impulsive long laughs when the whole body was shaking (you get the picture) – the paralyzes has taken away that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    I’m also a happy and positive person. Still not as happy as before the sci. I miss the impulsive long laughs when the whole body was shaking (you get the picture) – the paralyzes has taken away that from me.
    You know Leif I miss hearing Bill laugh like that too ... I remember the first time I heard his new "laugh" ... it made me sad because he used to put his whole heart and soul into his laughter ! Now I can hardly remember how it sounded ... on the other hand we do stll laugh alot in our house and I remember wondering once if we would ever be happy again .... life continues with or without you doesn't it ?

Obieone

Oh man, I miss my laugh too... <sigh>

I hate doing the "inaudible" laugh when I run out of air. Windup just doing the facial expressions. Probably look kinda weird, but I try to "do" the laugh as often as possible, it still feels good.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I didn't use to think so, but now I know - YES yo can. Well most people can, sometimes peoples chemicals really are screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone
    .... life continues with or without you doesn't it ?
    Obione. Sorry to remember you about the laughter But your right

Smashing head against wall

A Long time ago in a galaxy far far away I needed a favor from my doctor. (Late 80’s) Long story short he did it for me so I asked what he wanted in return. He told me to go help the director of nursing who was setting up an SCI support group.

She and I have had a pretty good friendship the last 15 years though she recently moved back nearer.

If a woman drives an hour to your house every week for months and cooks you dinner she is not looking for a platonic relationship.

Why am I so stupid? Do i block out everything that i can't immediately extrapolate into an absolute good for me. There are some fantastic 95% joys and 5% tears i miss.

Now I’m beating myself up for screwing a perfectly good platonic relationship rather than enjoying it. Well I am enjoying a lot of it.

As soon as a try and meditate or talk to God the thoughts just lead to rage with no tangible objective besides directing it at myself. Can’t stop it or slow it down to look at it, just inundates me and someday it will come out as tears.

Does anyone here believe that because of the SCI they don’t deserve happiness? Not if it’s a valid thought, do you ever have it? It has been so many years, will i ever forgive myself?