Thread: Getting first power chair

Getting first power chair

Hi all,

Looks like I'll be getting a power chair after 30 years of using manuals and crutches. It'll be mainly for outside use but some inside.

Recommendations? I'm small (5' 7" 120lbs), will not be transporting it much if at all, and will rarely go more than 5 miles in a day. I'd like one that is as low as possible.

Thanks
    Brian
    Who are these time beings? And, why are we always doing things for them?

If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.

invacare tdx sp

After 37 years of using crutches, I finally went with the power chair. I bought a couple of scooters off eBay and they work well for streets, sidewalks and places with plenty of room but not in smaller areas such as a small house.

I got a Pride chair with the mid-wheel drive and have been having a ball with it. There are many brands but I can only recommend the mid-wheel drive.

Good luck with your selection.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

All I can say is try try try and try again before you buy. Try as many chairs as you can. If you need a special cushion make sure that it fits the power chair properly. Some chairs come with recaro seats which are just not suitable in my opinion, unless of course you don't need a cushion. I use a permobil and you can put any cushion on here you want.

Just out of curiousity and because I look for future direction, your shoulders gave out or .. ? I can easily see this happening to me within the next ten years.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Also be sure you check out the candid discussions about various power chairs over at www.wheelchairjunkie.com

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Just out of curiousity and because I look for future direction, your shoulders gave out or .. ? I can easily see this happening to me within the next ten years.
    Yes, they hurt constantly. Doesn't seem to be the joints, seems more to be where deltoids attach to humerus. Besides, I never could push very well outside - have to go up curb cuts backwards etc.
    Who are these time beings? And, why are we always doing things for them?

If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.