Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fat or thin

fat or thin

I am just curious what kind of tires you guys like on your evveryday chair...I had regular 1" 3/8 x 24" spoked but then decided to be Mr Baddass and get 2.95" x 26" offroad wheels...now I can't seem to go back to the 24" they just don't look and feel right even though they are certainly much more meneuverable.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

i have your basic wheels so i wouldn't know which i'd prefer but i know a very active kid who'd never go back to regular wheels.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I always liked the look of Knobbies but they took too much added effort to get around. So I compromised for standard pneumatic tires with an airless insert.

i prefer air in the tires, but it's just my opinion.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I went to the solid tires bcause I kept geting flats all the time. They ride just a tad diffrent but it is one more thing I don't have to worry about now.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

I keep thinking of getting some wider tyres, but a few places where I go on holiday have quite narrow doors, so I'd have to take my narrow tyred wheels as well.

Also, the gap between my hip and the wheel is quite narrow, so this would decrease even more if I put wider tyres on, restricting my pushing technique.

Simon.

I like nice 1x26 high pressure (100psi) tires on my chair, very low rolling resistance. (Make sure you keep the pressure up too)

My everyday tires: Primo Racer 25 X 1" Pneumatic Tire (20-559)
    My knobby tires: Kenda Wide Knobby 24" x 2" (50-540) Blue Sidewall

Jadis,

Do you have to re-adjust the brakes when you switch from 25->24? Or are the tire differences enough to make them the same diameter?

I have 25x1's on and and old 24" wheels that would be good to make "offroaders". Just wondering about the hassle factor. My brakes ain't the easiest things to muck with.

Thanks, McDuff

edit: Oh yeah; how about the axle adjust too? Do you have separate axles for them? I had to tweek the adjust nut when I switched, rather not have to deal with that too.
    Last edited by McDuff; 09-25-2005 at 11:23 AM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Dunno yet. I ordered my knobbies on the 21st and they will be here wednesday.

As for adjusting my brakes, I just loosen the bolts and slide the tube portion fwd/backwards. (I have tried other wheels just not these particular ones I have ordered.)