Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: infections

infections

I had a sp cathater put in on 01-10-05 & have had nothing but one bladder infection after another. I have done everything I can do to prevent them with no luck. What do I need to do now? I'm tired of this shit.

What are some of the things you have tried? Also, when you say infections do you mean symptomatic infections with fevers or urine with bacteria only and no fevers?

JM

I drink over 3 qts. of water a day. I take 1000 mg of vitamin C a day. By bleach my bags daily I also use alcohol wipes when changing bags. I do not run fevers but I do sweat and have cold chills frequently. My urine is sometimes bloody and has a terrible smell to it. All of the bacterial infections are found through cultures. When one infection gets cleared up a different one takes its place. Like I said this has been going on ever since I had this superpubic catheter put in.

It sounds like you have more of a bladder infection vs a kidney infection. The bladder itself has bacteria in it that antibiotics don't destroy. You need to clear up the environment of the bladder itself.

Options include bladder washouts with various solutions:
    Essentially you can take a 1/4 stength betadine solution (take a liter of saline, dump out 250 cc and add 8oz of betadine). Irrigate your catheter with 30-60cc of this solution twice. Then take another liter of saline and irrigate your catheter with 30-60cc of the saline until the liter is gone. You can do this 1-2 times a day for 3-5 days. This will essentially clean out your bladder environment. The problems with it though is that it may cause bladder spesms due to the betadine. If it does, you can try just saline (total of 1 liter 2 times a day) to rinse vs wash your bladder.

Hope this helps.

JM

SCI nurse - Bladder pressure testing

Hi Spinal nurse,

I finally went to a Urologist (a rude, arrogant one) whom told me
    20 minutes was enough of her time. Literally!

Anyway, of course she wants a slew of tests. My question is WHAT
    do "Bladder Pressure" tests show? I've had a foley for
    26 yrs so my bladder holds little.

HOW are they done? IF they show pressure ... then what?
    Expanding my bladder over all this time (if that is it) sounds
    crazy.

I can't afford a Medigap policy right now and can't afford a slew of
    tests where I have to pay 20% lof what Medicare does not.

Frustrated.

Lori

Bladder pressure testing is when they fill up your bladder via the catheter and measure the contractions of your bladder as it fills. That tells you what volume your bladder contracts at. In the big picture though, one does want to get routine urological follow up to determne the overall health of your urinary system (how are your kidneys & bladder). Generally that is done via an ultrasound (to see if there is any hydronephrosis). If the indwelling catheter is your bladder program of choice, I don't understand the need for a bladder pressure test. Are you having voiding around the catheter?

JM

Bladder Pressure

No, not having any leakage around the cath at all... just recurrent UTI's. Went from Proteus mirabilus to Pseudomonas Aeruginosa a couple months ago. THen the last report was simply Mixed Flora... for whatever that crap is worth. Extreemly poor medical community here in Arizona. Never in my life have I been exposed to so much malpractice in the medical field. I had one doctor that was so proud of telling me... "I don't know anything about that condition". Being an internist and not knowing what a decubitis was or how to treat it. Typical here.

Before you ask... I have no SCI doctor here. Can't find a competent internist, let alone one that can spell SCI.

Looking to move in the near future... away from all these "doctors" that forgot what their Hippocratic oath means.

Thank you for the info on bladder pressure. It is exactly as I thought with an indwelling foley and I agree with you completely.

Spinal Nurse - Betadine solution irrigant

Your saline/betadine solution as an irrigant sounds like a good idea. You said you can do this for 3-5 days. When is the best time to do this?

After completing an antibiodic dosage for a UTI?
    Just before changing the foley or the day after?
    Or when?

Also ... is it good or ok to do this every month for 3-5 days and as a routine?

Thanks in advance!

Kidney or Bladder Infection?

Spinal nurse ... At one point I wondered what symptoms are different to identify whether one has a bladder infection or a kidney infection. At some point a few years back I recall someone saying that nausea usually (or can) accompany a kidney infection.

I've had queasiness with some of my latest infections and it was my first symptom (prior to fever) for my last UTI (last Wednesday). Fever and dark urine are my usual symptoms but this last time I couldn't eat for 2 days because of mouth-watering queasyiness and NO appetite.

Is this true or what ARE the signs that one has a kidney infection rather than a bladder infection? Are they treated differently? I ask because my Dr just prescribes an antibiodic and the symptoms go away.
    Last edited by Brinda41; 09-19-2005 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Emphasis by coloring

Bladder infections are confined to the bladder and do not involve the ureters or kidneys and are less severe, even though they can become very serious in SCI patients. Symptoms as we know, can vary.

Known medically as pyelonephritis, kidney infections usually start in the bladder. Germs from the bladder can travel up the tubes (ureters) that lead to the kidneys, take up residence, and multiply. An acute kidney infection starts suddenly with severe symptoms, such as high fever with chills, back pain, abdominal pain, nausea and vomitting. A chronic kidney infection develops slowly, grows steadily worse, and hangs on. The chronic variety can lead to kidney failure.

Both can be diagnosed with a urine culture but kidney infections can be further diagnosed with changes seen on ultrasound. The history, physical exam and the severity and onset of symptoms often differentiates.

Both are treated with antibiotics; UTI's if less severe with oral antibiotics. Kidney infections mainly with iv antibiotics. Both may require hospitalization depending on the symptoms.

AAD