24 18.90%
  • I am a para/quad and occasionally become hypotensive after eating

72 56.69%
  • I am a para/quad and have never become hypotensive after eating

13 10.24%
  • 18 14.17%
  • 0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How many SCI's experience a drop in blood pressure after eating?

This poll was created back in 2002 and 2 options are missing, probably due to the server/format changes this site has undergone since then so maybe those other questions were a part of the original poll. I can't recall back that far. As posts #1 and #2 suggest, the poll was created with Dr. Young's input and welcomed input from folks who had other symptoms.
    Last edited by antiquity; 09-20-2006 at 11:30 AM.

I found this website when I typed "Drop in blood pressure after eating" in Google and to my surprise this is common for people with a spinal cord injury! I just assumed it would probably be a blood sugar thing happening since I had never heard this happening before. I had not experienced it until about 8 years after my injury. I am so happy I found this forum, it looks like there are many subjects that are covered and I don't feel so alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bonniebraids
    I found this website when I typed "Drop in blood pressure after eating" in Google and to my surprise this is common for people with a spinal cord injury! I just assumed it would probably be a blood sugar thing happening since I had never heard this happening before. I had not experienced it until about 8 years after my injury. I am so happy I found this forum, it looks like there are many subjects that are covered and I don't feel so alone.
    Welcome to the board Bonnie~
    I'm new too & it is a great site.
    Lots of smart, witty, nice people.
    Post often~ Mona
    Last edited by Mona~on~wheels; 11-29-2007 at 04:13 PM.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

Tired only after lunch; weird dizzy/vertigo when too hungry

I'm C5/6 quad complete, 22 years post.

My main problem is falling asleep about an hour after eating lunch, or driving in the afternoon (whether I've eaten or not). It has been a consistent problem for about 5 years. I take no meds. My solution (which I figured out in order to avoid crashing my van) is to pull over and sleep for 10-12 minutes, or sleep at work in my wheelchair for 10-12 minutes as soon as the fatigue hits me. It's very sudden and predictable, and seems independent of what I eat. I always wake up automatically after 12 minutes, and I'm full of energy for the rest of the day. It only happens after lunch, not other meals. If I don't take the nap, I'm nodding off all afternoon (not very productive at work). I don't do caffeine or processed sugars, and I don't think they would help. My blood pressure is about 85/54; and I don't think it changes much after lunch.

The other problem is vertigo if I go too long without food. It's a weird feeling, not exactly dizzy or light headed, and a tight "emptyness" in my throat. I checked my blood sugar during one of these, and it was fine. I drink and eat, and it goes away in 15-20 minutes. If I don't eat, I think it would be very dangerous, progressively worse. I've been able to prevent the state by snacking.

This is a good topic; I appreciate everyone's inputs.

My symptoms started about 6 yrs. post. I mentioned it to several Drs. over the years but never recieved a diagnoses, though I did take a barrage of heart tests,looking for an answer: all normal. Content of meal doesn't seem to matter, but smaller quanities help. Only happens to me after first meal of the day. If I lay down for 20 minutes or so, don't seem to experience the effects.

I have had this problem for 20+ yrs and until finding this forum, thought I was crazy. I switched to a high protein diet which did seem to help, then I read about Sudafed and it solved my problem. I'm disappointed that we aren't taught about this in rehab, and that more GP's aren't educated about this too. It could solve ALOT of suffering on our part.

Is it wise to take sudafed every day?
    I really want help.
    I have low blood sugar and it's really bad in the chair.
    Sudafed helps this?

I just did an experiment. BP before meal was 103/67. 45 mins after BP is 98/61. Any lower and I will need CPR. But if I do need CPR, can it wait till after my nap?

This occurs to me quite often. While in rehab they had to tell me backwards to eat lunch. Sometimes I eat a meal so I can go out to dinner later and sit up straight to eat. 80% of my meals are laying down.

This is all kinda strange. I always heard that bp is lower if you don't eat. I hope mine don't ever do it because my norm is 90/60 and sometimes 86/54. Very interesting post. Wonder if this applies to AB's also?
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison