Thread: Flat-packing wheelchair

Flat-packing wheelchair

A couple of years ago I got a light rigid-frame titanium wheelchair from a company in Ireland - www.mobility-vision.com - the chair is called the Activator! Check out the short video on their site.
    It is ideal for folding flat and putting in the car which is why I got it - BUT it was very expensive. My question is does anyone know of another manufacturer, maybe in the U.S. who makes a similarly folding chair? That is not so expensive? I would like to get another as a back-up chair.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    A couple of years ago I got a light rigid-frame titanium wheelchair from a company in Ireland - www.mobility-vision.com - the chair is called the Activator! Check out the short video on their site.
    It is ideal for folding flat and putting in the car which is why I got it - BUT it was very expensive. My question is does anyone know of another manufacturer, maybe in the U.S. who makes a similarly folding chair? That is not so expensive? I would like to get another as a back-up chair.
    Looks cool carbar. I will watch your thread with great interest. I'm only a newbie when it comes to chairs you see. Thanks.

this quickie revolution seems to fold pretty tight.

http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/spec.cfm?productID=219

Smile pics please! :)

hey carbar i know this thread is a little old, but could you send me some pics of the front folding mechanism? and of the chair in general please !?

this is the best I could do from the video (the full res vid takes too long!)
    I am curious to see how it works.

The website says "Uniquely manufactured hinges ensure this chair is totally ‘rigid’ when open, yet in less than 60 seconds can be folded... ...The hinges (machined from solid Titanium) ensure that wear and tear are a thing of the past." do you agree?

yeah.. checked out the pics, I would have to say the Revolution collapses a bit more. It does have the performance of a rigid frame which I like. I have broken the frame though, just above the axle. Not sure how, but I did. Lasted a good 5 years. On my 2nd one now. Typically with folding chairs they've only lasted just over a year before I start breaking the frames.
    (I'm very very hard on chairs)
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Otto Bock also makes a chair that folds like a Z rather than side to side: Otto Bock Switch

Ti-Lite as well. Check out www.ti-lite.com

Katja - Longmont? We should have lunch sometime, I'm in Denver. Let me know via pm if you're interested.

Mr.B - Love the suit of armor. Obviously a re-enactment? (sorry if its been discussed I'm out of the loop on many new members, etc.)

Onward and upward.

Chris
    www.unite2fightparalysis.org

Odd this one - the video clearly has a Chevron logo on the chair - Chevron are a liverpool (UK) based manufacturer. Usatechguide has the chair in the video listed as a Chevron activator. Chevrons web site is down though.

Friend of mine has a chair which breaks down in a similar way - it doesn't hinge but has a quick release lever at just about the same point which means that the whole footrest assembly can be detached from the chair (normal AL cantilever design) - means he can get the whole chair in the back of his M3 convertible. Trouble is I can't remember who it's made by. I'll try and find out.

The revolution and the very similar kushall champion have very clever folding mechanisms but they add a load of weight that's not added in the activator type of hinge.
    Russ - T2 complete

The ti-lite link goes to a sports web site. Didn't see any chairs.

I play in the SCA. Basically we smash each other with rattan (sticks) weapons. Got some pics on link on the Sports page. Thread title is "I'm tired of killing my Friends".
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Sorry, here's the correct link: http://www.tilite.com/

Under wheelchairs, drop down to "folding".

Good luck.