Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20+ Years Post

I have had to give up Sex :), just kidding, never

I did have to go to a higher backrest on my w/c as I had used a low one for years and noticed I was starting to slump, now I tend to try and lean back more in the chair against the backrest.

I tend not to bounce around as much in the chair as I use to when I was younger, use to do things like bounce down a whole flight of stairs, now I would not think of doing such things.

this is an interesting thread - the inevitability of aging and the wear and tear on the stronger functioning limbs/parts that are bearing most of the brunt of just getting through an average day. I am a T4 and only 5 years post, but was injured at the age of 45. Although I worked very hard to get as much strength and mobility back as possible, at the grand old age of 50 I can already see that those achievements will start to slide before too long. My stamina is just not what it used to be prior to my accident, nor anywhere close to that of a 25 year old. I eat well, sleep pretty well, keep myself as healthy and active as possible, but still coping with pain, spasms, bladder & bowel management etc on top of all the other "normal" daily living chores seems to require so much effort - physically and mentally! I can see the next 5 years will be manageable provided I have no major setbacks, but beyond that I don't know. A life any less independent would be hard to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadfan
    I still feel optimistic about the years I have left and expect to make 70 and beyond, maybe because I haven’t grown up yet.
    What an awsome attitude..31yrs and 67yrs old,wow..

What advice could you give someone 7yrs in? Thinking back now,what would you have maybe done or changed a little sooner,if anything?

There are things to try.

Do they work? I dunno.
    I am 56..oh brother.

Am taking my daily caloric intake with the multitude of supplements and natural products to avoid drugs period. I don't know if it is helping..but think so.

I can only judge by something I don't know..like how would it be without them. Might though be something the newer injured should do.

If you have a body full of metal like I do..well you have to just either insist it's all removed and turn into a deformed troll or deal with it as you age..I chose deal with it.

Personally the water is my savior.
    Sleep is not an option most of the time.
    Fatigue is overwhelming..and pain is and always has been a daily issue..just tons more of it..so you have to improvise and compromise.
    One day some body part works..the next day it doesn't.

In between this crap LIVE IT UP..that's my way of dealing with it. Not for everyone..but it works for me.

I don't foresee too much except turning into a drug
    filled zombie coming from medicine for this problem of aging with in my case post polio..but maybe something will come for the younger ones. Hope so.

Shaun asked if one should do something differently?
    Yes, live to the max. Travel extensively..even during your days of demise..love..be happy..help others..and
    just live until it's over.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Smile

Lynnifer, i am just now thinking about giving up my car. This is a tough one. I'm thinking Van.I did go 3 yrs. without one and survived 96-99. I gave up smoking and drinking, which were both benficial. I'll be post 33yrs.on the 15th of this month. Whatever comes i'm sure i can adjust. I thank God for my sustainability...
    Last edited by murrey; 09-11-2005 at 11:36 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    Shaun asked if one should do something differently?
    Yes, live to the max. Travel extensively..even during your days of demise..love..be happy..help others..and
    just live until it's over.
    Best advice Lindox - thanks

My accident was 2/20/1985 at three years old. I have now been a vent dependent C2/C3 quad for 20 years.

Over the last year my spasms continue to get more frequent and severe with 80mg of baclofin and 4mg tazanadene (sp?) a day. Nursing continues to be an ever increasing burden with not finding people and keeping the current ones happy. Pressure sores are more frequent and harder to heal.

I've given up on ever finding a future wife as I'm rarely out of bed. I also don't see my desire to exercise with FES or something similar coming true unless spasms and sores improve.

I'm hoping to not see another year.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    What an awsome attitude..31yrs and 67yrs old,wow..

What advice could you give someone 7yrs in? Thinking back now,what would you have maybe done or changed a little sooner,if anything?
    I worked full time for 25 years and that made it awfully easy to neglect standing. I did stand some but not very often. I don’t know if this would have prevented the problem I am having now with the clogged arteries in my legs or not, but it probably wouldn’t have hurt. I think exercise is important but don’t get carried away. As you age unfortunately your skin becomes thinner and more fragile and sores are harder to prevent. I think a yearly pressure mapping on your cushion becomes important. Weight is another issue, the pounds just seem to slowly accumulate over the years. I can just smell food now and gain weight. My favorite food used to be beer, but no more, only occasionally.

I have always had the attitude if you want to do something, figure out a way to do it and then get’er done. The fishing platform I posted pictures of is an example. The telescope I built from scratch is another.

I just read some of the posts of others and it makes me realize how insignificant the problems I have experienced over the years really are. My life has been a cakewalk.

Last edited by Spadfan; 09-10-2005 at 11:51 PM. Reason: added text
    William M.
    T 6/7 Complete - 4/20/74

To an invincible young man:

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    My accident was 2/20/1985 at three years old. I have now been a vent dependent C2/C3 quad for 20 years.

Over the last year my spasms continue to get more frequent and severe with 80mg of baclofin and 4mg tazanadene (sp?) a day. Nursing continues to be an ever increasing burden with not finding people and keeping the current ones happy. Pressure sores are more frequent and harder to heal.

I've given up on ever finding a future wife as I'm rarely out of bed. I also don't see my desire to exercise with FES or something similar coming true unless spasms and sores improve.

I'm hoping to not see another year.
    Dear Trainman,

I feel very sorry to hear about your feelings! The fact that you participate in this Forum demonstrated your mind is above all average people. As an average individual, I admire you! Please take my advice and stay in the best shape you can as there are a lot of people who are determined to make your life better in a not too distant future.

Suzanne
    Suzanne

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    For quads or paras: Just interested in what you've given up after twenty year of paralysis and for what reason, whether it would be a job or a certain way of doing things.

For example, after a shoulder injury this past Christmas, I went back to my ole' transfer board from rehab to get out of the car with. I thought I would go back to the old way - but now I think why? Too much extra strain on my shoulders.

You?
    I gave up booze, religion and casual sex with women under 50. Next month will be 28 years for me and I'm doing fairly well. Pain sort of takes the sharp edge off most things and I realize I'm mostly just coping anymore. The deaths of many loved ones and friends has left me in a remote and philosphical place. If I had my druthers, I'd simply move on to the next adventure.

-Chuck-