Thread: foley cath insertion question

foley cath insertion question

the last couple of months the home health nurse has had very much trouble getting the foley inserted all the way to the Y before inflating baloon. today, even after trying for over an hour it would not go to the Y. she got good urine and but it liked 3-4 inches being to the Y. she inflated baloon anyway. She said it was in my bladder. she could tell. also after inflating baloon, she pulled in out about 2 inches. she said it must be in bladder or it wouldn't pull. could it be that my bladder has shrunk so much after 27 yrs that it won't go in that far? if they can't get it to the Y, what can i do to make sure it's in the bladder?

I insert and inflate my own foleys. It doesnt neccesarily have to go all the way in. If urine is coming out and you didn't feel a sharp AD shock when she inflated it, your are most likely fine. Your body would tell you if it was inflated in your urethra. It doesnt have to mean your bladder has shrunk. Sometimes the sphinchter can get tricky and lock on to the foley even after it's safley past it. Have her try some xylocaine jelly next time if shes having problems. It's funny, I was a very difficult cath/insertion when nurses had to do it for me years ago, they even sent me to the ER several times because they just couldn't do it, but doing it myself and just playing with your breathing and keeping and releasing pressure on the foley in rythm, I've ever had a problem. I'm a c6/7 and use tenedices splints.

It is always advisable to insert all the way to the Y before inflation. If you inflate it in the prostate or urethra, you can do significant damage before you get pain or AD.

What size and type of catheter are you using? It shoudl be soft enough and flexible enough to coil up inside your bladder even if inserted all the way to the Y. Once inflated, it should be pulled back as you describe until the balloon gently touches the internal sphincter.

(KLD)

she must not have had it in enough. had blood and small clots this morning. she came out and got it all the way in. i hope it doesn't stop up with clots. i use a 16 fr bardex with coude tip. i've searched for a silicone one with a coude tip, but had no luck. any suggestions.,