Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice on Commode Chair & Dig-Stim

Need Advice on Commode Chair & Dig-Stim

This is driving me nuts … I have been using JTG shower commode chair for several months. No matter how I try I have to do all sorts of contortions to get less than good access to perineum area and able to digital stimulation. Since I can’t sit up straight and get access ( my arm isn’t long enough? I don’t know) I am loosing all the benefits of gravity, end up doing more disimpacting than dig – stim. This is traumatizing my butt big time with hemorrhoids, pain etc.

When I purchased the commode chair new it had a cloverleaf seat for 4-way access but that has not worked well so I just purchased and installed a U-shape seat. To my disappointment I am still not getting easy access and have to contort in ways that irritate the area and throw off the gravity effect of sitting straight up in commode chair. I am thinking of turning the U-shape sideways for side access? Has anyone done that with good results?

So, between long BP’s due to above and then shower, cathing I am spending much more time in the chair than I want to for skin sake (not uncommon to spend over 2 hours) and feeling significant butt pain for the rest of the day.

Getting desperate... Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced anything similar? It has occurred to me that perhaps commode / shower chair is designed more for people who are using Personal assistance for BP's?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 09-08-2005 at 12:22 AM.

This is similar to the chair we use, and we have not had a problem with the "clover leaf" seat. You can turn the U seat sideways on this chair (I believe...be sure to check with the company to be sure this is safe).

If reaching is a problem, have you tried using a digital stimulation device? This can be used either by those with limited finger function or by those with reach problems.

(KLD)

Chair

The best chair out there in the opionion of many is the raised seat that allows side access. I have one in the box... never used. I got a Colostomy so I dont need it. MIke Bauer
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

I found a commode chair is useless. I see you are para, so I recommend a Lumex raised padded toilet seat mounted sideways on the toilet. I guess you could say I am lucky to have a small bathroom with the toilet next to the wall and a sink next to the toilet. If you can picture leaning over against the sink and holding onto the grab bar mounted on the wall, this provides good stable access to give yourself sort of a reacharound.

Kld ???

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If reaching is a problem, have you tried using a digital stimulation device? This can be used either by those with limited finger function or by those with reach problems.

(KLD)
    Could you please provide more info/detail on a digital stimulation device?

Thank you --

Quote Originally Posted by pns
    Could you please provide more info/detail on a digital stimulation device?
    Thanks to all for replies. Andy your assessment as "useless" seems to be closest to my experience... this change in routine , modifications has created more problems than solved. I am thinking perhaps most paras doing thier own bowel care / digital stimulation are not using shower /commode chairs?

I may find my way back to a regular lumex raised seat as I had done for 25 plus years.

SCI nurse, similar to "pns" I would be interested in dig stim devices and any related information / reccommendations in attempts to make current situation work. I know there is another thread on dig stim products and I've read it and researched products trying to assess info before spending another 60-90 dollars on a piece of equipment.
    Thanks

You can turn the seat sideways if it fits securely. Have you tried doing D/S from the front? If your balance if off with that, try putting something in front of you to lean on.

JM

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    This is driving me nuts … I have been using JTG shower commode chair for several months. No matter how I try I have to do all sorts of contortions to get less than good access to perineum area and able to digital stimulation. Since I can’t sit up straight and get access ( my arm isn’t long enough? I don’t know) I am loosing all the benefits of gravity, end up doing more disimpacting than dig – stim. This is traumatizing my butt big time with hemorrhoids, pain etc.

When I purchased the commode chair new it had a cloverleaf seat for 4-way access but that has not worked well so I just purchased and installed a U-shape seat. To my disappointment I am still not getting easy access and have to contort in ways that irritate the area and throw off the gravity effect of sitting straight up in commode chair. I am thinking of turning the U-shape sideways for side access? Has anyone done that with good results?

So, between long BP’s due to above and then shower, cathing I am spending much more time in the chair than I want to for skin sake (not uncommon to spend over 2 hours) and feeling significant butt pain for the rest of the day.

Getting desperate... Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced anything similar? It has occurred to me that perhaps commode / shower chair is designed more for people who are using Personal assistance for BP's?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    On Wednesday I'll be going to the Rudd Clinic to have my haemorrhoids checked. I also have a referral to get a colonoscopy examination.

It starts with a similar situation as you describe. Gravity doesn't work for me and I perform daily disimpactions. I have done away with the raised toilet (too many transfers and damage control) in exchange for a shower bench with a cutout. It doesn't sound romantic at all and is the best alternative I've found so far.
    It works perfectly in a tub environment and is not very good in shower stalls.
    The forward angle inclination allows stim/disimpaction very conveniently.

Milk of Magnesia is a very dangerous thing for me because it places me in "involuntary watch mode" and "silver bullets" have to be inserted while in bed -- in the shower they just drop out and I have to do the disimpaction first anyway to be able to use it -- and this increases the posibility of collateral damage (cleaning) by an order of magnitude.

I'll post my results of the visit to the clinic.

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Here are some options for both suppository inserters and digital stimulators. The latter two give more "reach" if this is your issue. Both can fit onto the hand for anyone who lacks grasp.

Sure-Grip dig stimmer or suppository inserter

Royal Grip Dig stimmer or suppository inserter

There are also devices designed to hold toilet paper or baby wipes for clean up if anyone is interested in these.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by LaoziSailor
    On Wednesday I'll be going to the Rudd Clinic to have my haemorrhoids checked. I also have a referral to get a colonoscopy examination.

It starts with a similar situation as you describe. Gravity doesn't work for me and I perform daily disimpactions. I have done away with the raised toilet (too many transfers and damage control) in exchange for a shower bench with a cutout. It doesn't sound romantic at all and is the best alternative I've found so far.
    It works perfectly in a tub environment and is not very good in shower stalls.
    The forward angle inclination allows stim/disimpaction very conveniently.

I'll post my results of the visit to the clinic.
    I appreciate it Sailor and hope all has gone well for you. In the past using raised commode I had occasional hemmi problem, 2 to 3x per year and remedied with prescription hydrocotsone suppository.

Within weeks if modifying bath and going to shower commode chair ( last year) I was miserable with hemmorroids and colorectal surgeon wants to cut on them. I don't want to get a surgery and then come home to recover on the same set-up that is traumatizing my butt 90 % of the time.

Appreciatate any input.