Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving Again

Driving Again

I'm a C5/6 and will finally start driving again soon. I took a driving eval in 2002 but the van only had EMC Digital controls. People tell me I really don't need the digital setup and can use a Mobility Designs 3700 control like on this link. http://mobilityproductsdesign.com/# Does anyone here use it? If not and you're a quad, what type of setup do you use?
    John-B

My setup is custom-built but comparable to EMC. I'm a C5/C6 complete. I was unable to use the standard driving wheel because I do not have much strength to move my arm across my chest.

You can see photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/markdlewis/sets/72039/
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

how do you operate the blinkers, lights, etc? the reason the state wants me to use the electronic setup is because i wouldn't have to pull my hand out of the tri-pin to turn anything on. yes its safer that why but i have a quad friend and his electronics have given out on him twice while driving. lucky both times he was able to coast to a stop.
    John-B

i use standard monarch controls and a quad fork. you can let off the gas/brake long enough to bump yer turn signals n stuff no prob.
    Death and taxes

I just use standard push/pull controls on the left of the steering wheel and a tri-pin spinner to steer. Like Cspine, I just hit the stadard blinker switch. If you steer with your left hand, this would be problematic. The less electronics, the better, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by 490
    how do you operate the blinkers, lights, etc? the reason the state wants me to use the electronic setup is because i wouldn't have to pull my hand out of the tri-pin to turn anything on. yes its safer that why but i have a quad friend and his electronics have given out on him twice while driving. lucky both times he was able to coast to a stop.
    The gas and brake part rocks left and right to operate blinkers (hold in either direction to initiate hazards). Lights are automatic, but I do have a switch on the large button panel in the picture. Although I don't have a photo showing a, there are several buttons I operate with my left elbow while driving; these buttons include horn, high beams, cruise control, and backup system button if I were to lose power.

Basically, the large panel of buttons pictured is used when I do not need to steer. I.e. ignition, shifter, Windows, wipers, parking brake... The buttons off my left elbow are to be used while I am driving. They take a little practice but function well.

If you can get by with less, great. But you don't want your set up to cause you to dread driving
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Standard Mpd Hand Controls, Nothing On The Steering Wheel, I Do Like Scorp Just Let Off Handcontrol To Hit Turn Signal.......

Less Controls And Electronics You Have The Better Off Youll Be..if You Can Do Standard Controls Like We Are Referring To Thats Best. Nothing Electronic Just Mechanical Push And Pull Down
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

490 - As a c5/6 I would think that eventually you won't need as much electronic adaptive equipment as you may currently. Agreed with fuente, scorp, about the less the better. Also agreed about the control signals, etc. You'll figure out what works for you - trial and error.

I would also venture that you could probably get away with a tri-pin as cspine mentioned. This will help you build that arm and shoulder strength.

I think you'll find that the more time you spend behind the wheel the stronger and more confident you'll become.

Good luck.

John-

I'm surprised that you're looking at an electronic system. I don't see any reason why you couldn't drive with the same type hand controls as I have, maybe with the exception of using a tri-pin knob. Of course I live in Orlando where the use of a turn signal is a challenge, so I just rarely use them. Good luck w/the driving venture...the sooner you get driving, the sooner you can come visit me
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

i wasn't even considering the electric, the state of ga was. the van they sent for my driving eval was all digital. i told the guy i could crank, put it in gear, turn the ac on, etc myself. i went to prove i could crank it but it had no ignition anymore. when i saw that i also noticed it didn't have a shift lever either. thats ga for you....lol
    John-B