Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting used to a work schedule

Getting used to a work schedule

Ok so I got a job with Alltel (cell phone company) I start training on the 19th of this month but I'm a little worried because I have had really no work schedule to go by for like 15 years now. even now I'm always busy with balin hay or straw, going to equipment auctions to buy stuff to resell on Ebay but I pretty much just do it whenever I feel like it.

So for anybody that was off work a long time and then returned, how long did it take for you to adjust?

How long does it take you to get ready in the mornings?
    The way I got it figured is that I'll need to wake up at about 5:30 to be there at 8:00 and its only 30 minutes from me.

Jack
    Soon to be Financial Services Rep. for Alltel
    "Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

My experience my be a little diffrent but I'll say it anyway. I am used to being a full time student. I get up early go to class, get lunch, take a nap, read a little go to a night class, that sort of thing. Over the summer I did a full time 40/hr internship. It took me about 2 weeks to get over that mid day slump. I thought it ws just me but our siminar teacher bought it up and everyone was struggling, which made me feel better.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by jack9166
    The way I got it figured is that I'll need to wake up at about 5:30 to be there at 8:00 and its only 30 minutes from me.
    Yeah, THAT'S going to last - lol. Soon, you'll be putting out your clothes the night before to where you get changed ... making your lunch the night before ... showering the night before. You might even start showering every other day.

Congrats on the job!

Signed, I'm not a morning person - AT ALL.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Jack, that seems like an ok set up. By the way, welcome to the land of Telco Slackers! Is that a union position?

I have my alarm set at 5:15, finally wake up around 5:30, spend an hour drinking most of a pot of coffee and dinking with my computer till around 6:30, brush teeth, shave, get dressed, out the door at 7, get to work by 7:30. Showers and sitting on the can have to wait till after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Jack, that seems like an ok set up. By the way, welcome to the land of Telco Slackers! Is that a union position?
    Are you a Telco slacker?

No union but the starting pay is good, they have full benefits, paid holidays and vaction, one of the many perks they have is that we get a free cell phone with free service. I wanted to be in sales but the girl I know that works there said this was a better postion with better pay and lots of room for advancement.

Jack
    "Stand strong in the storms of life,The sun will always shine on you" Kid Rock

Illinois Bell, aka/dba Ameritech (past), SBC (now), and possibly AT&T (soon). IBEW member.

Congratulations Jack,you will get the hang of it. Your body will condition to the workday the same as a football player reporting for pre season practice. You wil reap many benefits from being back in society. Ticket to Work has opened the doors for the severely impaired to enter the workforce. Try shifting bowell program to the evenings. I get my clothes out the nite before.Lynnefer has provide you with some good ideas.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Just started back to work(1 week so far) after 2 years of absence. I've got it a bit easier so far though, I am working 1/2 days starting at 10 for the time being. Also my wife is helping with the clothes til I get the rhythm going.

But I am definitely shifting things I can to evenings, BM,showers,etc. I HATE mornings and no way in hell I can get up at 5:30. I hope I can get all this in place before I return to fulltime. Long as I don't hit any "sweating time" I plan on doing odd day showers too. Showers used to be a wakeup requirement for me but that is a luxury now as it would cause more grief than good.

No real answers for ya, still workin' it out myself. But more power to you dude, good luck
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

When working fulltime

Went to be bed at 10pm woke up at 0545 (no alarm) or a little earlier on bp day and was at work by 0600 with a 20 minute drive, no traffic that early in the morning. I got off at 2:30 pm when there was still time to do things during the day. I always got breakfast at work so on average it took about 50 minutes to SSS. C6 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Illinois Bell, aka/dba Ameritech (past), SBC (now), and possibly AT&T (soon). IBEW member.
    telco slacker here, CWA splicer and galvo guy i officially retire in less than a month.i think
    started att long lines pre divestiture as a test desk technicain,private line testing, new york tel merged , bell Atlantic merged nynex merged verizon..
    its good to get the benefits and pay into social security to help latter on in life.. good luck jack!
    cauda equina