Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being on crutches put a crimp in caregiving...!

Quote by Ami:

And after the ump-teenth time because frustrated beyond all belief with this site, I'm bidding farewell. No big deal, I'm just not getting anything from this forum anymore except aggravation.
    But please come back later! Your voice is needed here. And stay off that foot!
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Ami .... ... I won't speak for Kathy but to be fair she called doing the transfer crazy ... not you !! I hope you'll reconsider and just take a hiatus ... I value your perspective .... and by the way ditto Wm comments!

Obieone

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    Yes, I am much more empathetic!! Chad offered me his manual chair and I'm about to take him up on it because my arms hurt so much! It's an inspiration to lose weight I tell ya ....! ;-)

Yep... my friend would push my extra chair all over the house...

she actually stayed here for a couple of weeks because the chair and layout made it easier to get around. lol.

please rethink your decision to leave.

Realize that people can learn from you even if you don't feel you're learning from them.

feisty
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    I leave with my parents on a 15 day cruise in 3 weeks, and we expect that by the time we return that the PCA will be at least partially weight bearing.

Zillazangel....doing quad pivot transfers is crazy. Eventually you will injure yourself. We no longer allow these at all where I work, and don't teach them for family members or PCAs either. I really encourage you to look closely at getting some type of lift. This makes it much easier to do the care safely for both of you, and has the added advantage of making it easier for you to recruit and retain PCAs.

(KLD)
    And we leave tomorrow for a 12 day westward transatlantic from Dover, England. Fly out tomorrow night.

Ami and KLD I hear you both! I have the most stubborn husband on the face of the Earth on certain things. Transfers are one of those things. I can bear weight so standing and a 90 degree turn work for almost everything. But the shower/commode bench is the exception. I talk about an Easy Pivot or bedside only SureHands and he thinks this will just add time to his day he feels he doesn't have. He now has tennis elbow (like my great CRRN in rehab, Gail had from lift-pivots) and I bought him a band that is much like she had to wear. He says it itches... Now he is having lower back problems. The man is near retirement and refuses to listen to reason. He is also under the impression that if his back goes there are terrific Assisted Living places for people with SCIs. I found one nursing home with assisted living also in case of emergency in our area. Their main treatment is to send as many people into the community as possible and have folders about Olmstead and the Medicaid Waiver in their lobby. So other than Alzheimers, vent dependent vegative stae ward and some very elderly people with multiple health problems the manager kicks people back home as soon as the emergency is over.

So, Ami, be aware that even 20 year army veterans with another 17 years as a defense civilian can have problems after doing it right for 13 years. And KLD? How long does a lift assist transfer take with the 2 lifts I mentioned?

Sue (hoping his back doesn't die doing a lift after a shower on ship)
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Using a good lift takes no longer than a quad pivot, and is much more comfortable and safe for both of you. There are several lifts designed for travel that you can also use in your home. I personally like the Molift Smart for its design and portability. We have a TakeAlong Lift for travel and a ceiling track lift (Sure Hands) for home. It also makes it so anyone...even an untrained friend or family member, can do the transfer easily with your direction. My dad (who is 83) can easily transfer my mother using the lift...he is well past doing any quad pivots, even if he is in great shape for 83.

I am sorry Ami took this so personally. I was trying to say that she was taking some significant risks for her own health in doing this type of transfer. I guess she is very sensitive. I tell my friends they do crazy things all the time...what I mean is that they are doing something risky and I am worried about them....not any disrespect for her (or them).

(KLD)

Ami,

If you are reading, and I hope you are please let me add a few things from my heart and not as a nurse or anything other than me. 19 months ago I was strong too. I was never in the habit of transferring anyone alone, although I could have physically and I always relied on that knowledge. Sometimes when we are hands on taking care of people, especially a family member, we can be protective of our ways...even KLD is about her mom, and dad, as I am about mine, and the children. I am so impressed with you, and I actually think of you at times because you seem so energetic. One day 19 months ago I started a patient transfer from chair to bed with another person, and due to some negligence on her part and maybe some malfunction, I was placed in the position of having to protect this head bleed patient from a fall that could have been fatal. Even with what was judged to be excellent body mechanics I am now diagnosed with a permanent level of neurological damage and deficits. My life has changed, as has my ability to do the job I loved and protected. I had to make so many changes as a result of even doing something correctly, that I wanted you to know that as KLD says..you just never know. She is smart enough to say that you should protect your back. I say the same thing. No one can tell you how, just know that for some of us the day came and we cannot go back and get what we had before. Well, thats all I have to say except that I respect and care about you , and I really think KLD had your best interests at heart, and I have purposed to myself to meet her one day so that I can have a better dimension of who she is because I have truly learned some serious kick ass nursing from her determined writing. Best wishes my friend.....and for Chad as well...

Blessings ....Mary
    1FineSpineRN