Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel Accident Cleanup

Bowel Accident Cleanup

What is the proper technique for cleaning up after a bowel accident?

I am assuming you can't just run the stuff through the washer.

I also assume bleach is involved, but what about things such as clothes and slings that you cannot bleach? Do you *have* to use bleach?

Had a major accident here today and we're trying to figure out how to get started with the cleanup.

I just scrape off what I can with TP and flush that, then wash in hot water & bleach. If you absolutely can't bleach, I guess I'd just wash it well. I have run selected items through the wash 2x before. If it doesn't smell it ought to be OK. I figure the dryer kills most of the baddies that remain. Others may have better ideas.
    - Richard

dude.. the drier wouldnt kill cdiff or any micro organism..
    use ur washing detergent!!

Is laundry detergent enough to kill all the baddies if we cannot use bleach?

Our sling specifically says not to use bleach on it.

This oldtimer suggests that you Google: how to wash diapers. Young people do not have a chance to learn how to deal with poop, but it is not a forgotten art. "Greenies" are doing it these days.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    This oldtimer suggests that you Google: how to wash diapers. Young people do not have a chance to learn how to deal with poop, but it is not a forgotten art. "Greenies" are doing it these days.
    "Okay, let's face it. This job is the least favorite part of using cloth diapers, yet it's necessary. So, how do you rinse poopy diapers? Some parents choose to "swish" the diaper in the toilet to remove most of the mess, and then rinse the rest off in the sink under running water, rubbing the fabric together in a scrubbing action."

This is what I found that was closest to how mom did it. You can flush the toilet over and over as needed...of course wear gloves...
    And this is just pre-wash prep of course...
    Last edited by djrolling; 06-06-2010 at 09:05 PM.

YBill, sorry you're having to deal with this. Although I didn't comment, I followed your introductory post and feel for you. You're a great son -- I sure wish your Mom was willing to do more to make her life, and yours, less difficult and unpredictable.

We use the pet accident enzymatic cleaner-type products when washing fabrics that can't tolerate bleach.

Pretreat the item by saturating the contaminated areas with the enzymes* and letting it set for 30 minutes or so, then wash it in the hottest water the item will tolerate. You can repeat as needed. We've used the enzymes on just about every kind of material out there, and nothing's been damaged by it (yet?).

*ETA: After cleaning off and flushing as much of the fecal matter as possible, of course.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Also turn clothes inside out so that soiled area is more exposed during the wash cycle. Examine before drying to make sure it is clean... you do not want to lock in a stain by drying it

If the person is known to have c. diff., after washing the clothing, run a rinse only cycle with a cup of bleach through the washing machine after doing the clothes. This is what we are advised to do by our infection control staff where I work (when patients wash their own clothing). We also wipe down the outside of the washer with bleach wipes. No need to wash the clothing in bleach as long as you use hot water for MRSA, VRE, etc., etc.

If you rinse in the toilet first, keep a FIRM grip on the clothing or bed pad when you flush. I always remember the time my dad clogged up the only toilet in our house when cleaning my sister's diaper that way on Christmas morning...and lost his grip. We didn't have a functioning toilet for 2 days.

Arm & Hammer Detergent with baking soda also works well for washing to get rid of odors, either urine or stool.

(KLD)

Yeah, it's been a looooooooong day. And one of my little kids is sick, too, which complicates things.

Anyway ... sounds like a wash with hot water with regular detergent after cleaning off as much as possible is the way to go.

I will also look into the pet enzyme-ey stuff.

Oh, and just to complicate things, our dryer also broke yesterday.

Grrrr.....