Thread: What is tethering?

What is tethering?

As I was reading various posts regarding syrinx information, I kept reading about tethering. I am not sure what this is. Can someone please explain?

My interest is due to my 23 year old son who is a C6-7 quad. He had decompression surgery in July for a syrinx that was found after he started to lose function in his good hand (3 years post injury). The surgery went well, but he got a staph infection and ended up in NCCU for a week with pneumonia. I think his recovery would have gone well if not for that. He lost much weight and upper body strength. Once home, his leg began to swell and a blood clot was found. He is now on Coumadin and seems to finally be getting better.

Since his injury he has had chronic pain down his right arm and hand. If someone/thing touches it he cringes. It's like touching a raw nerve. He also sweats profusely on his right side. We were all hoping that the surgery would help with the pain and the sweating, but it did not. It seems the surgeon was correct, the decompression was to prevent further damage.

Any info on the pain and sweating?

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks lynnifer

That was helpful. Although my son's surgeon never used this term, he told us that he removed quite a bit of scar tissue during surgery, so I am wondering if that was due to tethering. I will ask him. Thanks again!

Believe it or not, the pain in his arm might be a sign of improved neurological functioning. The extreme response to touch can calm down over time. In my experience, occupational therapists have means of trying to desensitize painful areas, so you might want to ask for a referral.

RAB

I had one nurse that was a God send, she tole me to use a baby's hair brush! It feels so wierd and painful to start off, but if you rub the area softly over time it will feel normal as normal can be

It is a month since you posted your baby's brush suggestions, and I am just now reading it, but will get one for my son to try. Thank you for the suggestion. I will post again later to let you know how it worked for him.