Thread: disguised spam from "PayPal"

disguised spam from "PayPal"

You know, I should collect these. I received 3 today, which prompted this post b/c they're so obnoxious. This is more or less a notice to be careful. I do have a PayPal account, but it's registered w/ the email address from my ISP. The address I receive the majority of my spam from is one I specifically use for forums, listservs, business registrations (for purchases, etc), etc. I keep my other stuff out of the general public's (& spambot's) sight.

Regardless, if you use the same email address for everything, be cautious of email that asks for any info from you. The following screenshot has a link to http://www.paypalsecuritycenter.com, although disguised to point towards the real PayPal server. A simple WHOIS lookup proves it's a scam.

Just thought I'd pass this along...
    Last edited by -scott-; 08-31-2005 at 12:52 PM.

I got the same kind of crap a few weeks back and forwarded it to Paypals fraud dept as requested. I never click on any of those that ask for info. They are typically BS.
    Ride It Like You Stole It!

It's always a good idea to type in the address yourself or utilize your bookmarks/favorites to ensure that you log into your actual account.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

i got scammed by this. a dude in china stole $400 from me. luckily i got it back.

Theo,

If you have the time, can you explain how you got the $400 back?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

One of our local news stations always reports on email scams, this one they did about 2 months ago. I too like Scott use two emails so I can choose when to sift through the crap.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

I was almost scammed by this...someone tried to use my credit card in the Middle East, but my credit card company caught it in time. I did lose my yahoo acct. that I had for years though

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania
    i got scammed by this. a dude in china stole $400 from me. luckily i got it back.
    faxed my bank a list of unauthorized transactions. after 10 days the money was refunded.