Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: hey dr young and jeff

Heroes

Wise, I know you've pulled plenty of long shifts in understaffed hospitals in your day. Me too. The people at Charity went above and beyond. God bless them. I hope they all had a bath and a bed to go to...Doubt it though.

I heard police were turning in their badges because it was too dangerous and I can't really blame them. There was a Charity employee giving unemotional reports that chilled my blood though-and they didn't turn in their badges.

"Yes, we have evacuated all but 48 of the patients. As of Thursday we are no longer manually operating ventilators. Those patients were evacuated. We do have armed guards at the doors preventing people from entering. We can't provide citizens food and water because we have none. Our patients have been fed minimum amounts. No, there have been no supplies received. When possible we need supplies. Yes, the morgue is full."

Last report I heard the employees were administering IV fluids to themselves. Again, God bless them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    They finally moved the patients from Charity Hospital

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...print/asection

The article had added the following information
    1. Dallas, Houston, and Louisiana hospitals are saturated and cannot take more patients. They flew 200 patients to Atlanta and others to San Antonio.
    2. The help came too late for dozens of patients who died in the hospitals.
    3. The move from Charity required medical personnel to carry the patients in stretchers across the flooded street and up 8 floors to the top of the building where the helicopters landed.
    4. 30 people died in a nursing home.
    5. Some of the staff of the hospitals had not eaten or drunk water for days.

This catches me off guard as I just saw on CNN that there are still approx 200 patients at Charity Hospital that have yet to be evacuated. I hope that the Washington Post was correct & CNN was a little behind. Yesterday I saw an interview with a Dr from Tulane Hospital yesterday right after they finished evacuating them. They had not been evacuated even though it had been reported that they were. I hope that Charity has indeed been evacuated, but I'm afraid that CNN is more accurate & that they haven't been evacuated yet.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

i dont think the hospitals are saturated in houston. houston is home to the biggest medical center in the world. 17 hospitals and 2 universities in 1 area. this does not count the rest of houston. the truth is they are saturated by indigent ppl.

Hospitals in Houston are pretty much full according to local news reports. They have setup triage centers in the Astrodome and are currently trying to do the same with the convention Center in Houston. But even thugh most are at capacity, I don't think it is in anything they haven't planned for.

Tropical storm Allison and the resulting floods a couple of years ago in Houston help down the medical Center in Houston to prepare for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl R
    Hospitals in Houston are pretty much full according to local news reports. They have setup triage centers in the Astrodome and are currently trying to do the same with the convention Center in Houston. But even thugh most are at capacity, I don't think it is in anything they haven't planned for.

Tropical storm Allison and the resulting floods a couple of years ago in Houston help down the medical Center in Houston to prepare for emergencies.
    i have heard a thing about our hospitals. except one lady from new orleans went into labor in route to houston. had her baby in a beaumont hospital. the baby is now a texan.