Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doin away with the pushrim altogether..

doin away with the pushrim altogether..

ive noticed on some sites you can buy rims without the pushrim. would it be smart to take mine off since i always push on the tire or are they there to help keep the rim from warping also? i figured if i could take mine off it would make my chair slimmer.

Dog crap? That's why I have pushrims.

Yes, dog crap,chicken shit,and motor oil etc. I thought about removing mine but you get it on your tires you get it on you. The worst thing is going into a clinic or a hospital and you pick up all the bad stuff off the floor and to hand to mouth to hack,hack I'm sick. Keep your push rims and keep your hands on your push rims. I keep a little bottle in my wheelchair bag of germX and use it after every trip out of the truck. But that just me. Also they keep you from smashing your fingers in high speed pursuit or avasion.

i never thought of mashing my fingers,lol. its been 4 yrs an i havent gotten any crap on my tires, plus i wear quad cuffs all the time. i'm quad an don't use em i push on the tire itself is why i was askin. thanks for the input though.

That would just be way to dirty for me.

I had thought of doing the same (wanted to shave 1" or so off chair width) but decided not too because it takes me less energy to push on handrims than tires. Especially indoors because I rarely use gloves indoors and my hand get all torn up on tires.

i guess me bein quad is what brings about the differences. it actually takes more effort for me to push on the rims because i have to kinda push in and forward at the same time versus pushin straight down on the tire.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    i guess me bein quad is what brings about the differences. it actually takes more effort for me to push on the rims because i have to kinda push in and forward at the same time versus pushin straight down on the tire.
    That makes sense... For me its more effort because I have high-pressure pneumatic tires.

one thing i'm still unsure about though....i mentioned to my brother one time about just taking them off cause i couldnt get in the bathroom where i was livin at the time. he had the idea that they also might help keep the rims from warping so easily. would that be a reasonable assumption? or have any of yall heard anything like that?

I met a guy who had big knobby black bike tires on his chair, which he pushed on, and his hands were almost completely black. He said gloves were too inconvenient for him, but I prefer the gloves to hands covered in grime, dirt, and rubber. I've also seen chairs where the pushrims are signifigantly smaller than the tires, does this help to push the chair faster or what's the point of that?
    De Omnibus Dubitandum