Thread: bowel and bladder control does it mean return?

bowel and bladder control does it mean return?

New to the world of SCI almost five months now am a C6 C7 incomplete and was wondering if what I am experiencing is return or normal. For the past 4 months I have had no bowel or bladder accidents I self cath and can tell when I need to and by bowel program is every other night with no mishaps sense I started the program in rehab. I am able to tell when I am going to have a BM even on my off days which has happened more than once. I currently need no stool softners laxatives or supositories (sp) just minamal digital stimulation. The last few weeks I have been experiencing urination while preforming my bowel program ie peeing and bm at the same time just like I use to prior to my injury. Is this somthing to write home about or is it just the way life is now? Any help on this matter would be appriciated thanks

It has been my experience from what I've heard from Dr. Young about my return of function that you are indeed healing. It is very good that you can control your bowels. I am a C5/C6 incomplete quad 20 months post and am still improving. My best advice for you is to do as much rehab that you can. Good luck.

Deb

Having control is crucial...and I'm jealous!!

I am a T4 incomplete and wish I had the sensation and control you have. I have a few of questions concerning your peeing while doing BP.

Can you feel that your bladder is full before you pee?

When you pee, do you empty your bladder completely?

When was your last urodynamics test?

What were the results of the test?

"And so it begins."

TD to answer your questions yes I seem to know when my bladder is full I get the feeling that I am going to pee my pants as well as start to feel clamy somewhat. When I do pee during my bm I seem to empty my bladder maybe not all the way but enough that I don't have the sensation of having to go. As I mentioned I am new to the world of SCI so I have no idea what a urodynamics test is or if I have ever had one. At first I use to think that the peeing was caused by the digtal stimulation but as of late it has started on it's own with last night's being the longest and the most; shot all over the shower and onto the floor I hope this answers your questions

i am incomplete c4.,2 months after sci i began walking(making first step)until now w/ walker about 30 min each session w/ braces.9 months after sci i have bm every 4 day (average)no drug no dig sti, when i feel urge, i go to bath. if i use drug i will have bm every other day. about void, 15 times/day so i use external catheter. i cannot control my void but i feel urge and then 1-2 min later urine come out.i got a bit of everything walk, bm, void. at this time about 3 yrs since sci, i wish i could get better.

andy m nguyen

bladder control

I am c5-6 incomplete. I was injured as long as you are now when I started being able to pee. I haven't cathed in a year, when I was in the hospital. Haven't had full urodynamics.When I was 1st hurt, I asked a urologist how many ever regained control. He said none (not very nicely, either). I had an IVP 6 mo's ago that my spinal cord doc said indicated I was functioning properly. So that urologist can kiss my...well, you know. I never get UTI's anymore, either. Listen to your body and don't write off the possibility. Wish I had your bowel function. Betheny

urodynamics...

...Is when they make you lay on a really cold table looking at the ceiling for a really long time. They insert a cath and fill you with water till you holler. Then they drain it out and measure it. Meanwhile they take pictures of your bladder. It's to make sure your bladder isn't backing up into your kidneys, or shrinking from spasms (I think). There are worse things. If you've done it you'll remember it. Betheny