Thread: para bathroom ideas

para bathroom ideas

My wife and I are turning an unused bedroom into a master bathroom and I'm looking for design ideas for a bathroom that we'd both be comfortable in. I'm a T9 with good transfer skills.

I've looked through a bunch of old threads including the one of Clipper's house (great house... many good ideas), but most have a roll in shower. I'd prefer to keep a tub so my wife could use it if she so desires.

Anyone come up with anything interesting or creative that they'd care to share? Is there anything that you've tried that really didn't work?

We've already decided on a double sink with cabinets only under her side, tile throughout, two sets of showers (one mounted normally for her, one handheld for me).

Does anyone know of a tub seat that folds up out of the way?

Thanks for the help,
    Dave
    T8 complete - 9/4/04

my parents turned their small bathroom into this one. they moved the wall out, put tile down, sloped the shower so it will drain and so i could roll into it, raised the floor to do that, and made a small slope ramp into the bathroom. i call it a 5 star bathroom. the only thing i would have done different was to make the sink so that i could roll underneath it, but other than that, its awesome. hope this might help u.
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdave
    Anyone come up with anything interesting or creative that they'd care to share? Is there anything that you've tried that really didn't work?

We've already decided on a double sink with cabinets only under her side, tile throughout, two sets of showers (one mounted normally for her, one handheld for me).

Does anyone know of a tub seat that folds up out of the way?

Thanks for the help,
    Dave
    Looked at your site Dave and house looks great. Also viewed your transfer to car video.

One thing I would advise against is a roll-in shower / commode chair. I rennovated my bath last year and was encouraged to go with roll-in ... I am regretting it. As T2 para I find doing my whole routine from shower commode chair is causing problems on my butt. Between BP , shower and cathing it is like sitting on a toilet seat for an hour or longer... I am considering going back to a tub or sturdy bench in shower.

quick search, here is a company with drop seats & showers and there are quite a bit out there on the market.
    http://www.lascobathware.com/browse.pl?line=3&series=5

From a 27 year para you may find plenty of grab bars and removable padded raised commode chair do the job for you. (I used to store mine in vanity cabinet and pop on and off).

I know the roll in works for some but you asked for " what didn't work" and though it doesn't sound like you are headed in that direction I found shower chair /commode method a disappointment for me.

wishing you success,
    Paul

Dave-

Here's my .02 and what I'm doing for my bathroom on my new place too. Since you're taking a bedroom, i'm guessing you have at least 100 sq ft or so to use. Sooo, you probably have enough room to have a nice roman tub for your wife(&you to share w/her), a roll in shower, your toilet & double vanity. Do the tub in the corner, shower on the wall next to it. Even if you don't use a rolling shower chair and use a bench chair to transfer to, the roll in shower is A LOT easier to get in & out of than one that has a threshold or door to deal with or a tub to transfer over. You probably have enough room to do all of it. I hope this helps you out.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I would second this. If you have the space, do both. In addition, I would imagine you only want to do this once, and if, down the road you have a shoulder injury or other problems that make tub transfers more difficult, you will already have the roll-in shower and now have to do it all over again. If you are only planning to stay in this house a couple years that would be different, but if it is for the longer term, go for the roll-in. You shoulders will thank you!

(KLD)