Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saliva as Cath Lubricant

Red face Saliva as Cath Lubricant

I went to the Urologist today after repeated UTI's. After talking, I mentioned that I mostly use saliva as a lubricant. This was an old trick that I heard just after my accident. At any rate, when I mentioned this, my Doc about passed out. She claims that using saliva I might as well drag my cath along the floor of an outhouse? I never really gave it much thought, but, now that I think of it, I can see her point of bacteria in the saliva. Does anyone else use this method, and has it caused any UTI's??? Thanks, Mikey.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

God no way man. good to hear you'll be stopping this as of TODAY!
    ''It'll all come right in the end''

Saliva?! Your mouth is one of the dirtiest places!

Oh My Goodness.

You might as well get your dog's slobbers to help smooth the way, better off that way. This is too funny. Dog's mouths are cleaner than humans...we are disgusting creatures. KY it for now on.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I call BS - I have spit and slip for over 20 years. Your salava is your germs vs KY take off the cap open a cath etc. the Uti that almost killed me was from the hospital from "other germs"(got dumpedin ice water for fever)- Tommy Height quad olympian told me this and I have few infections. Stress and food can bring it on so take care.

Hunkers reply

Hunker.... thats what I thought, thats what I told the Doc. My thinking was exactly that... these are my germs, etc... However, the guy who told me this technque has been doing it for 10years and claims he rearely or never has UTI's???? Thanks, Mikey
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

I'm sure a doctor will state different - Do not eat Doritos and cath lol - keep clean when cathing yet ky and kits have "other" people germs - I'm sure other CC members can give better advice. KLD knows, I have been helped by KLD many times so wait on KLD's advice. Drink water and gatoraid type drink they keep hydrated.

While historically this has been done by men doing intermittent cath back to the 1800s, I would not advise it. Your mouth is very dirty. Bacteria in your mouth don't belong in your urethra and bladder. Yeast is commonly transmitted from oral contact, for example, and is difficult to get rid of once in your bladder. You are much more likely to get a serious infection from a human bite than from an animal bite (yes, your dog's mouth is "cleaner" than yours!). In addition, saliva is a relatively poor lubricant compared to products designed to lubricate. This can result in minor trauma to the urethra which can allow the bacteria in the saliva to get into your blood stream.

Your lubricant tube should not be contaminated unless you are sticking dirty catheters into the tube (not recommended) or using the same tube to do bowel care as you use for your caths (not recommended either).

Please stick to using regular lubricant and only use saliva at times when it is an emergency and you have no other options.

(KLD)

That much to be fearful of the bacteria in ...

... our mouths, saliva = guaranteed UTIs, eh?
    Damn, I guess that opens a whole new thread for the other forum: beware of blowjobs!

Gee, when the Big Guy decided to punish us with sci's, He didn't forget a thing!