Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Wise, Help Please?

Unhappy Desperation

Wise

People go to have experimental procedures out of desperation in the absence of any plausible options in 'mainstream' medicine.

How long are we going to have to wait for real therapeutic options to be available in the 'West'?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon
    Wise

People go to have experimental procedures out of desperation in the absence of any plausible options in 'mainstream' medicine.

How long are we going to have to wait for real therapeutic options to be available in the 'West'?
    East, West, Middle earth, we will go for treatment wherever it is. The issue here is how RELIABLE this treatment is.

Thumbs up

Dr. Young,
    Your postings, as usual, are incredibly informative. Thank you.
    Five years ago (give or take a few), we were told to "grin and bear it" - "the spinal cord obviously cannot be repaired." You've been out here in the real world trenches with us and words cannot express our gratitude for your efforts. Scientific Research is not Engineering and has no timeline.
    Thank you,
    Carl

Anything Happening in Canada???

Dr. Young

Is there anything of interest happening in Canada in regards to working towards a cure that you could direct me to. I would like to know what to put support behind (and pressure on), and have something to talk about that would raise people's awareness about what we are working towards. I feel out of the loop ~ not being able to write to congressmen/senators ~ and hope maybe I can make a difference here. I'm in the Toronto area.

Thanks for all the information you provide.

Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by shelley
    Dr. Young

Is there anything of interest happening in Canada in regards to working towards a cure that you could direct me to. I would like to know what to put support behind (and pressure on), and have something to talk about that would raise people's awareness about what we are working towards. I feel out of the loop ~ not being able to write to congressmen/senators ~ and hope maybe I can make a difference here. I'm in the Toronto area.

Thanks for all the information you provide.

Shelley
    There are several major efforts ongoing in Canada. The four places that I know are Toronto, Vancouver, Edmunton, and Halifax. There is a stem cell network that is very active. Finally, the Cethrin trial is going on and that is Canada's own.

Wise.

Thanks Dr. Young ~ I'll do some research here.

Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by carl
    Dr. Young,
    Your postings, as usual, are incredibly informative. Thank you.
    Five years ago (give or take a few), we were told to "grin and bear it" - "the spinal cord obviously cannot be repaired." You've been out here in the real world trenches with us and words cannot express our gratitude for your efforts. Scientific Research is not Engineering and has no timeline.
    Thank you,
    Carl
    Carl, thanks. There are times when I get frustrated because of the roller coaster ride and every once in a while, I have to look back at how far we have come. Despite all the obstacles, the minimal funding, and the politics, we have come a ways. Although we are not there yet, we have come a long ways. What is wonderful is the fact that the scientists are just as excited and the naysayers are not as vociferous as before. Wise.

Campaign for Cure

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon
    Wise

Chris, people should not be just "waiting" for therapies to come. They should be doing what they can to prepare for when the therapies come and, if they can, help in the campaign for cure. Waiting is boring. Learn about the therapies and, as you know, there is so much to learn. Talk to people about the therapies, write letters to the editors of your newspaper, keep them up on the news and the latest coming out. The more people we recruit to the campaign for cure, the faster the cure will come. Wise.

Waiting is boring

Yeah I've been waiting 22 years now and the estimates given in the various articles that come out is still ten years, the same as when I first had my injury.

I am getting worried that the likes of "Paradude" and "Bubo Hungary" might be right, there will be no cure in our life times and we will be disabled for the rest of our lives as our doctors told us at the time of the accident.

Some people are adjusted to the idea of being disabled forever but for me it would take a huge readjustment having convinced myself early on that a cure would forth coming.

Smile At least they are a little bit interested now than ever

http://www.cerebricon.com/services_i...cordinjury.htm

At least companies are considering the SCI model in their array of disease models

Cerebricon Releases Model for Spinal Cord Injury
    Thursday, June 30, 2005 15:20

Kuopio, Finland
    June 21st, 2005

Cerebricon Ltd., a contract rersearch organization specializing in preclinical models of CNS disease, announces the release of a new model for the study of pharmaceutical candidates aimed at treating spinal cord injury.

The model, based on a T10 contusion, has both a basic histological end point package and a more comprehensive functional, behavioral and MRI battery if required.

The SCI model has been fully validated by CerebrÃ*con's scientists in Cerebricon's proprietal laboratories.