View Poll Results: Does smoking (nicotine) increase your neuropathic pain?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does. I am very sensitive. A few puffs increases burning or other neuropathic pain

21 36.84%
  • Yes, it does. When I smoke a lot, it aggravates the pain.

5 8.77%
  • No, it does not do anything to my neuropathic pain.

14 24.56%
  • No, it actually reduces my neuropathic pain.

7 12.28%
  • I don't know. I have not smoked since I had neuropathic pain.

5 8.77%
  • I don't know. I have not stopped smoking since I had neuropathic pain.

4 7.02%
  • Other sources of nicotine (nicotine containing gum or patches) increase the pain.

1 1.75%
  • Other sources of nicotine do not increase or reduce the pain

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many people find that cigarette smoking increase their neuropathic pain?

burning pain from smoking a cigarette

I have been a C-5 quadriplegic for 5 years and if I smoke a cigarette I immediately start burning and stinging. Does anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by keithv
    I have been a C-5 quadriplegic for 5 years and if I smoke a cigarette I immediately start burning and stinging. Does anyone know why?
    Where exactly do you start burning and stinging? If its in your lungs and chest, I would stay the hell away from cigarettes.. This is definately a new one. I've smoked since I was 15, now 35, 16 years post c6/7 and never heard of anything like that.

I’m a para – Th4. I also get some burning/naturopathic pain from cigarettes. I’m not a regular smoker, but if I am partying I like to have a few cigarettes. After the first one I get immediately changes in my body pain. I get pain in my lower body, especially the legs. After a few cigarettes the pain is gone. I have talked to a neurosurgical professor about this since I have had surgery on my blood vessels inside my spine and was afraid that the smoking could harm me. He did not think smoking was dangerous to my condition as such, but off course he said smoking was dangerous anyway (which we all know). I’m not sure how this sudden pain occurs; you see it is present just after a few inhalations – very strange. I was thinking that it could have something to do with the fact that the blood vessels, arteries, capillaries etc. inside the cord where I have my SCI would change and that it was this change of the blood vessels that made the pain. In addition I was speculating if it also could have something to do that there will be less oxygen to the damaged part of the spine due to CO binds up haemoglobin, and that this fact will have greater impact to the damaged site of the cord than it will have to healthy tissue. Just speculating here… Anyway, I will still have my cigarette. But it is very strange indeed. Leif

its the nicotine. i smoked 1 drag am its burning plus my spams get worse so even though i like my cigs. i can/t handle the burning in my rear and legs the spams that they causes so its rare now. dang this injury . its screwed up a perfectly bad habit among other things

reply for burning from cigarettes

I can't believe such quick feedback. These seem like very plausible answers and I had ideas that it may be something like that but did not know the details and terminology that went with it, I really appreciate it. The burning is in my legs and hands by the way. I am wondering if there is some kind of preventive measure to stop the stinging brought on by smoking before it happens besides not smoke ha,ha. Has anyone found anything that seems to alter this reaction to one degree or another?

Quote Originally Posted by keithv
    I can't believe such quick feedback.
    It’s just our spinal cord that is damaged, not our brains. Well in my case some will say the latter as well.
    Last edited by Leif; 08-23-2005 at 11:53 AM.

How many people find that cigarette smoking increase their neuropathic pain?

Several people on this forum have reported that nicotine increases their neuropathic pain. It seems to be a general phenomenon but I did an extensive search of the medical literature and find no mention of it. So, I thought that perhaps we can do a poll here to find out.

I’m a para – Th4. I get some burning/naturopathic pain from cigarettes. I’m not a regular smoker, but if I am partying I like to have a few cigarettes. After the first one I get immediately changes in my body pain. I get pain in my lower body, especially the legs. After a few cigarettes the pain is gone. I have talked to a neurosurgical professor about this since I have had surgery on my blood vessels inside my spine and was afraid that the smoking could harm me. He did not think smoking was dangerous to my condition as such, but off course he said smoking was dangerous anyway (which we all know). I’m not sure how this sudden pain occurs; you see it is present just after a few inhalations – very strange. I was thinking that it could have something to do with the fact that the blood vessels, arteries, capillaries etc. inside the cord where I have my SCI would change and that it was this change of the blood vessels that made the pain. In addition I was speculating if it also could have something to do that there will be less oxygen to the damaged part of the spine due to CO binds up haemoglobin, and that this fact will have greater impact to the damaged site of the cord than it will have to healthy tissue. Just speculating here… Anyway, I will still have my cigarette. But it is very strange indeed. Leif

I had the same problems with smoking. It got to where they burned when I smoked and hurt more when I didn't. My advice to you is to quite as soon as possible. The withdrawl sucked terribly, but now I don't have to deal with the burning and tingling. I feel like I am so much better off now.