Thread: vaccine against UTI (& other UTI stuff)

vaccine against UTI (& other UTI stuff)

I read that Phase II clinical trials are being conducted somewhere for an experimental vaccine for UTIs. Does anybody have information on this?

Also, I just started taking Hiprex plus vitamin C as a preventative. Then I read in a book that Hiprex was the same thing as Mendalamine. I've taken Mendalamine in the past and it really didn't seem to do anything for me. I am so confused.

I really need to find an answer to this soon...

Hey Starlight, the following is the only information I've come across in the last year or so regarding a vaccine for UTI's in women.

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4436

My son was on Hiprex for about two years, and we didn't notice anything yeah or nay about it's effect on UTI prevention. Then read about live damage, so he decided to stop taking it. But again, everyone's different, and i know there are folks here who do take it and seem to do well with it.

It IS confusing, isn't it?!

Urinary antiseptics

Hiprex and Mandelamine are separate drugs, but both work in the same way. In an acid urine, they metabolize into a weak solution of formaldyhyde, which is supposed to kill all bacteria in the urine. This transformation takes about 45 minutes. If your urine does not stay in your bladder that long (for example, if you use an indwelling catheter), then the urine may be in the drainage bag before it makes this transformation.

Studies with Hiprex and Mandelamine are varied in their documentation of effectiveness in prevention of infection in persons with SCI. Some studies have shown no more effectiveness, or even less effectiveness than nothing or placebo.

Have you tried cranberry capsules? Many people on this forum swear by them. Just be careful to gradually increase to the recommended dose on the package, as they can cause loose and incontinent stools for some.

(KLD)

I take Uroquid

which is another of the same, at least according to this web site:

http://www.mdadvice.com/library/drug/drug265.html

There's a lot of good information on that site. Our urine has to be very acidic for the drug to work well. I, therefore, eat lots of protein and take 6 grams of Vit-C each day. I also drink two gallons of water per day. Hopefully this helps avoid any strain on my kidneys.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Thanks for the info. The bit about the Hiprex doesn't sound too encoraging, tho - the nurses have me on that PLUS 1000 mgs of vitamin C daily.

How does eating protein help?

A high protein diet...

will give you more acidic urine. Vegetarians have urine that's not acidic at all without taking supplements.

I read somewhere that Vit C [being water soluble] is safe up to 14,000 mgs/day. I take 6,000 mgs/day. It's not so expensive when purchased in large quantities. And it will increase the effectiveness of hiprex/mandelamine/methenamine/etc. You could probably take more if you wanted. High doses can cause bowel incontinence so I factor that in to avoid problems. I just take more fibercon/immodium. Seems to be working for now.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

UTI Vaccination and other helpful links