Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do u get cardio?

how do u get cardio?

pushing my chair seems more like a arm exericse than cardio to me...

I use a Thera Vital upper body trainer and drive my hand cycle as much as possible.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    pushing your chair isnt cardio, although its great to do.
    you need constant motion which as you know you dont get while pushing.

i use a saratoga or vitaglide 30-45 min per night. these both crank your heart rate up. no starting and stopping.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    Eric, I also felt it that way and I understand your question. I can see you’re a T6, almost the same level as me. To push your wheelchair gives some exercise, but I wanted some more for my upper body and cardio. I did not want to become a body builder etc. I’m strong enough; I just wanted to be in a better shape, especially when it comes to cardio as you write. I bought this home-gym which I have located in my garage. I use the home-gym only for my arms and upper body. It is originally designed to do exercises for the legs as well, but that option is impossible for me to use. - I did remove the original seat (you can see it’s laying beside the home-gym next to the wall) and did some rewiring of the wire holding the weights. The original seat was difficult for me to get on to; it was also terrible to sit on. By doing this I’m able to back up my wheelchair all the way into the back rest on the home-gym. If lifting weights it is very important that the spine has good contact with the back rest all the way. This was I get a very good position for doing the exercises. And from there it’s only to go ahead and to several kinds of exercises. The machine is very flexible when it comes to exercises you can do. I found it on Internet and just ordered it that way, a couple of days later I had it here. I have used it for some time now and am pleased with it. There is a lot of equipment like this you can check out; just do a yahoo or google search on “home-gym” or “exercise equipment”. I believe I paid $800 for it, and in my country I get some tax reduction for that. I have also made an exercise program I follows; I can post it if you are interested. Hopes this gives you some ideas. Leif

PS. If you use light weights with many repetitions it will be good for cardio, if you use heavy weights you will get more muscle mass. It depends on the exercise program.
    Last edited by Leif; 08-22-2005 at 08:06 AM.

Exercise program

Here is also my exercise program. I am not sure that I translated correctly into English the exercise descriptions. Anyway you can modify those to suit you the best, you can also modify the whole table to suit you the best. I have also included a table where I can monitor the development of muscle mass etc. from one month to another month. – Give it a try – and that is the hardest part, you have to be disciplined

I Swim it seems to be the best for me. I also play basketball. But the pool feels alot better. "KEEP ON ROLLIN" Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    PS. If you use light weights with many repetitions it will be good for cardio.
    I do the same..Light weight,lots of reps and i chug em out as fast i can at least 3x's a week.I also own a Saratoga which is great,but can become boring if you havnt got something to look at while your doing it (mines in front of a T.V)..and i cant function if i dont get my 5km roll in every morning..6-7am,no one around but the wildlife,thats my time..

Boring! I think you have a good point here. It could be wise to do as you mentions about the TV because all of us have good intentions when we start but after a while it can be easy to drop out. I have done it for a while and I have times that are looked for exercise and I don’t change those routines unless something important comes up... Mornings, exercise, no one around and wildlife… Shaun, it seams like you have beautiful mornings. Where in Canada do you live?
    Last edited by Leif; 08-23-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    I do the same..Light weight,lots of reps and i chug em out as fast i can at least 3x's a week.I also own a Saratoga which is great,but can become boring if you havnt got something to look at while your doing it (mines in front of a T.V)..and i cant function if i dont get my 5km roll in every morning..6-7am,no one around but the wildlife,thats my time..
    i dont find it boring, its just something, imo, that has to be done. i just crank up the radio. it feels great getting your heart pouinding,..
    i hear what you guys are saying bout light weight more reps, but i think thats more anerobic circuit training, not true cardio. i agree it gets your heart rate up but its still a bit inconsistent.
    its great to see gimps that give a shit about their health, and actually workout, not just talk about it. i believe its a lifestyle, it is for me anyway
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

No,its boring! Its flat out boring,if i didnt have it in front of a T.V theres noway i could stick with it..and thats my Saratoga advice,if your a person who doesnt find paint trying to be ''all that'',you'll need a T.V or a good ''lookin'' window.

Leif im just 15kms out of Regina,Saskatchewan...right in the middle of the bald ass prarie..