Thread: IC timing...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation IC timing...

Hi,
    I am 16 years old and I am planning to take a full schedule of classes (for the first time since my SCI) at school this semester. There is only one easily accessible handicap bathroom at my school. I can't figure out when I would have time to IC without being obvious about it. Anyone had this problem before??? If so could you offer some advice please?
    I am a T-10 and I can IC myself just fine.... my only problem is time.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ButtMonkey; 08-20-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Does your school have a nurse's office? They normally come equipped with screens. Zoom in, cath using one of the self contained kits and zoom right back out. Might also ask if you can keep a change of jeans and whatever in there.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Have you learned to cath in your chair? This saves a lot of time.

Do you have an IEP (you should)? This should have included a plan for getting you excused from class early if needed to get to a bathroom to do your caths. Often the nurse's office is offered as a place that is more private than a girls bathroom in a high school! If not, ask your parents about getting the IEP done, or revised.

(KLD)

I agree with KLD, if you do not yet have an IEP under the 504 laws, consider getting one. In high school, I went in between two of my classes at the same time every day leaving a little late for one and getting in a little late for the other. The teachers also knew if I needed to leave to go cath it was no big deal. In high school I kept a pair of clothes at school like suggested above. I was given a key to one of the bathrooms they usually kept locked so that I had privacy, being a quad made it very difficult to cath. Now that I have the mitro it's quick and easy. As a college student I have my accommodation set up the same way, I very seldom have to leave class because I cath before I go, but just encase its written into my plan. My teachers have all been cool about everything. Everybody has to pee so I wouldn't worry about being obvious about it.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni