Thread: Schrader vs. Presta valve? 24/540

Schrader vs. Presta valve? 24/540

i have 24/540 24 inch rims and use the kenda colored everyday tires. right now i am using the presta valve tubes that hold 100psi. i know that switching to schrader valve knocks the psi down, but is it worth switching over to the schrader valve for the skinnier tires like kenda's or primo v-traks?

I keep getting a hole in my tubes right at the base of the valves. they usually last about 4-6 months but i never have problems anywhere else. could this be because the hole in the rim is bigger than the presta valve and causing the tire to penetrate through the rim causeing it to wear faster?

thanks for your replies

Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Originally posted by Stevens:

i have 24/540 24 inch rims and use the kenda colored everyday tires. right now i am using the presta valve tubes that hold 100psi. i know that switching to schrader valve knocks the psi down, but is it worth switching over to the schrader valve for the skinnier tires like kenda's or primo v-traks?

I keep getting a hole in my tubes right at the base of the valves. they usually last about 4-6 months but i never have problems anywhere else. could this be because the hole in the rim is bigger than the presta valve and causing the tire to penetrate through the rim causeing it to wear faster?

thanks for your replies

Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

switch, those presta are not worth the trouble, i inflate my shrader type tubes in my rugby chair to 110. they are made for it. even my primo at's that call for 60 psi get 80

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung

you can but buy presta rim adapters that make the hole on the rim smaller for the presta valves.
    tires dont care if the tube is presta or schrader valve. the psi has to do with the rating of the tire, all tubes can go over 100psi.
    if the tubes are always failing by the valve stem, the rim adapters will fix that..
    presta rim adapter

Presta valves are meant to hold the higheer pressures. You might want too check your rim for a bad drilll job. Look too see if theres sometthing is poken into the tube at the valve hole.

I had presta valves on my wheels wheen they where new and I hated them. #1 because you had to have the adapter to get air in them and no matter how tight you closed them they leaked air over time faster than my schrader I run now.

I put 70 to 100 psi in my schrader tubes and have only had to add air a few times in a year.

I'll second Kings post,and add there a bitch for spasmy quad hands..

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~