Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to help sister, don't know where to start. Help?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    If you are going to help them, you need to get more information, and may need to go to stay with her for a while so you can really help. It is critical that there be accurate information to know how to help her.

Contact the rehab center where she was and ask to speak to her social worker. It sounds like they did a crappy job of preparing her for discharge to the community.

Are you sure her injury is not C5 instead of T5? A thoracic (T) injury would not affect her arms at all, while a cervical (C) injury would significantly. There is a BIG difference between the two.

She should be on a bowel and bladder program that prevents accidents. This should have been established by the rehab center if they were doing their job. If she is on Medicaid, she may be eligible for some funding for attendant care. The local ILC should be able to help with this too.

There are organizations that provide free or low-cost computers for people with disabilities. See if the local ILC knows about one in her area.

Find her local ILC and get in touch with their benefits counselor too. Check for her local one at www.ilusa.com . See if she is already on Medicaid, and if applications were made for SSDI (assuming she worked 40 quarters already) and for social security for her children. Is she getting any child support for the children from her ex? If so, this may need to be re-evaluated as well.

Is she getting medical treatment for her bi-polar disorder?

(KLD)
    Hi, asked more questions. She has a C3-C4, incomplete injury. As for bowel/bladder control, they have her in diapers. She says this isn't working well at all. She's going to get me the name of her case worker so I can call.They are having to pay for these(diapers) themselves.She's been approved for SS & SSI, but it won't start till Nov. So the only family income is her mothers pay as a store clerk

For her bi-polar they are giving her Zoloft & Amatryptalene(bad spelling). I know from experiance that these aren't the best meds for that because both my late husband & my brother have it. She's not getting any counceling at all.

I am unable to go because I am the caregiver for my 2 yo grandson who had open heart surgery at birth.He's done better than great, but they still don't want him in day care because of bacterial infection.

Aside from a weekend break from time to time, can you advise on supporting my mother-in-law?Her stress is tremendous, aside from her daughters care she now has 3 teens.Who,btw, have dead beat Dad.

Thanks,Nina

For now, she should get a prescription for a foley (indwelling urethral catheter). Medicaid should pay for a home health nurse visit to insert this, or it can be done at the doctor's office. This will get her out of diapers.

She needs to resume the bowel program started at the rehab center (if she had any decent rehab), which would include insertion of a suppository daily 30 minutes after breakfast, transfer to a commode, and digital stimulation to empty her bowels.

Call the ILC on Monday to see if she is eligible for state funded attendant care and help make the application.

Personally, it sounds like she did NOT have a decent rehab program...try to get her into a center that knows what they are doing such as Shephard Center in Atlanta.

I will try to write more later...have to run.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    For now, she should get a prescription for a foley (indwelling urethral catheter). Medicaid should pay for a home health nurse visit to insert this, or it can be done at the doctor's office. This will get her out of diapers.

She needs to resume the bowel program started at the rehab center (if she had any decent rehab), which would include insertion of a suppository daily 30 minutes after breakfast, transfer to a commode, and digital stimulation to empty her bowels.

Call the ILC on Monday to see if she is eligible for state funded attendant care and help make the application.

Personally, it sounds like she did NOT have a decent rehab program...try to get her into a center that knows what they are doing such as Shephard Center in Atlanta.

I will try to write more later...have to run.

(KLD)
    Thanks for responding, I've heard of the Shephard Center and would love to get her in there. I agree that the rehab she's had seems to be crappy, I don't understand why they haven't directed her towards any positive goals or apparently even the best treatment. They haven't given her any hope that there is more for her than sitting in that cair,staring at the walls.
    Thanks againn for your response.

I was out of town for a week and just saw your private message to me. There ALOT of services that can help your sister. It is a HUGE bureacractic pain in the neck to navigate, but I would help you if you need (which it sounds like you do). Chad, my husband, knows the director of Vocational Rebilatation personally, so we would be happy to intervene on your behalf. Call me, I left my phone number in the private message I wrote back to you.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager