Thread: intravesicular oxybutynin

intravesicular oxybutynin

My urologist is now telling me to add this procedure to my taking 25 mg of Ditropan XL. I have the 5 mg Ditropan tabs and the sterile water. What do I use to make up the potion? Once made, what do I use to administer it through the catheter and where do I get it?

"And so it begins."

TD,Did a search, as I remember quite a few threads on this; try searching under 'intravesicular ditropan' - the posts were so numerous, you may want to check them all out!

briefly:
    1. crush pill finely (drug stores have crusher)
    2. measure 30 cc into a syringe bottle or clean container for this purpose only
    3. drop powder in, swirl until absorbed
    4. draw into syringe
    5. cath as usual
    6. when done, place syringe tip firmly into cath funnel end
    7. inject solution
    8. withdraw syringe while still attached to syringe, preventing it from leaking out and leaving inside to do its stuff

TD, Ask your doc to write a script for the sterile water and 'bladder irrigation kit', so your insurance will cover it. You can get both supplies at any medical supply store - sometimes the larger pharmacies will carry them, or can get them.

If your insurance company won't cover saline, and most don't for lifetime maintenance it can get costly. My uro's nurse said you can boil water (like 5 mins), let it cool (obviously), and store that in the liter saline bottles.

Supplies

TD, as I remember you are a vet and get your meds and supplies from the VA. Call your SCI clinic nurse and tell them you need prescriptions for these supplies as well as directions on how to do the instillation. These all should be covered for you.

(KLD)

SCI Nurse

The VA does not have pill crushers so if I want to follow my doctor's orders I have to buy one at my local drugstore. So much for the VA providing all my needs to follow their doctors orders.

"And so it begins."

Pill crusher

TD, our VA does provide both pill-splitters and pill crushers, but since you can purchase a pill crusher at your local pharmacy for about $1.59, that does not seem to be a great burden. The irrigation sets and solutions and the Ditropan itself are where the real money is!

(KLD)

You don't need a pill crusher

Put the Ditropan tablets into a 60cc syringe, add water (I use distilled H2O) -- or put the water in first, no difference -- and the tablets will dissolve completely in just a few minutes. There's no need to complicate what is a VERY simple procedure.

It's a bit late, Stephen

Originally posted by Stephen NYC:

Put the Ditropan tablets into a 60cc syringe, add water (I use distilled H2O) -- or put the water in first, no difference -- and the tablets will dissolve completely in just a few minutes. There's no need to complicate what is a VERY simple procedure.
    I already bought the crusher. Just following the orders of the urologist.

"And so it begins."