Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you wish people knew about SCI?

What do you wish people knew about SCI?

There was a topic close to this a while ago. Most of the post echoed a statement like, "I'm still a person". We all know that. I am hosting a Spinal Cord Injury Information booth at a local festival on Sept 10. At this booth I plan on having info about; injury prevention, injury levels/function, complete vs incomplete, stats, the daily life of a spinal cord injured person (including B&B), current programs, therapies, research, and legislation effecting the quality of life and the prospect of a cure for paralysis, and everything in between.

What specifically would you like people to know about SCI? What do you wish you knew before you got hurt? Can you point out any documents that sum up the info that you want people to have?

Quote Originally Posted by jplw
    There was a topic close to this a while ago. Most of the post echoed a statement like, "I'm still a person". We all know that. I am hosting a Spinal Cord Injury Information booth at a local festival on Sept 10. At this booth I plan on having info about; injury prevention, injury levels/function, complete vs incomplete, stats, the daily life of a spinal cord injured person (including B&B), current programs, therapies, research, and legislation effecting the quality of life and the prospect of a cure for paralysis, and everything in between.

What specifically would you like people to know about SCI? What do you wish you knew before you got hurt? Can you point out any documents that sum up the info that you want people to have?
    that we,men. still get erections and lead normal active sex lives.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Accessibility issues, and how many places really aren't accessible that AB seem to assume are.

Sim

That paraplegia is not always from the waist down.

That every sci is unique ...

even when its at the same level!!!!

... that it makes a difference if you are an old codger like Shaun or a young whiper snapper like Josh or Noah

... that it's not "just" about not being able to walk

... money matters

Obieone

Just because the injury level sounds close or similar it does not mean that they can always do the same things. You body structure and things of that nature can help or hurt your ability to perform certain tasks. Just because something works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Oh wait I want people on this board to be able to realize that!
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Aly
    Just because the injury level sounds close or similar it does not mean that they can always do the same things. You body structure and things of that nature can help or hurt your ability to perform certain tasks. Just because something works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone.

Oh wait I want people on this board to be able to realize that!
    realize what?????????
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks for your replies. I will have info on sexual function, injury levels and complete vs incomplete, and economics. I will put up more on accessibility issues and age. As far as far as it's not "just" about not being able to walk, I found this http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pd...eu.2004.21.1371 .

Strictly speaking for myself...1-that im not fragile and breakable and 2-im not angry and bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Strictly speaking for myself...1-that im not fragile and breakable and 2-im not angry and bitter.
    I hear ya, bro.