Thread: 4-AP

4-AP

I would like to know how long my husband a T-4 para (incomplete) should continue
    to take 4-AP. He has been taking it about 4 months now and we have'nt witnessed much response to it so far. So I guess I am wondering if it is a drug which will work better after a certain amount of time, or whether if the results are not significant, it would be better not to take it. Thanks for your help on this one.

How high of a dose and what kind of 4-AP is your husband taking? Wise.

4-AP

Thank you for answering so fast Dr. He is taking 15mg 4 times a day.

4-AP

Also Dr. Young it is 4-AP S.R. does that stand for "slow release"? And do you recommend the fast release, and could you please explain the differences. Thank you!!

SR stands for sustained release. The so-called time-release formulations that are being offered by compounding pharmacies have not been tested for bioavailability or pharmacokinetics, to my knowledge. The dosing regimens for these time-release are based on theoretical estimates which I am not sure are reliable. Some time-release formulations slow down release and the drug get carried further down the gut. When this happen, drug may be lost and not absorbed, therefore reducing bioavailability.

At the present, the immediate release compound is probably the best known and understood formulation that is available. While the immediate-release formulation may have more side-effects at lower doses, therefore limiting the use of the drug to the lower doses, sensitivity to 4-AP varies widely. Some people are quite sensitive to 4-AP and others are not.

Wise.

4-AP

I have been taking 4-AP for several years. I first ordered it from a pharmacy in Southern California. They do charge a lot -- $118 per month for 10 mg, 4 x per day, 30 days. After a year, a Internet friend of mine suggested that I use his compounding pharmacy in Boston. It was $49 including shipping for the same amount. Then, due to some unexplained physical problems I was having, I quit all of my meds except the basics. After deciding to return to using 4-AP, I decided to use a local compounding pharmacy - I live in northern California. I found one that charged about $50. After 6 months, I was discouraged because I couldn't see any change. I decided to try my original source and, sure enough, just exactly like the first time, my third day into 30 mg per day I had an immediate increase in strength and mobility. It has only been a week but I am excited now and motivated to exercise and push a little harder. Do different fillers make a difference? Is it my imagination? Do I just like paying more for something? Curious...

Karen M

Hey Karen? For an extra $267 a month they'll monogram each capsule for you. No, you don't like paying more. Could be one of several things: the filler, they don't fill many scripts of 4-AP and it has a short shelf life or, as one study found, a 10 mg capsule can have anywhere from 3 or 4 mg to 15 or so depending on the pharmacy. I'd actually show up if possible at your local place and ask how many prescriptions they fill each month and how often they order more 4-AP. Might ask who does their quality control too...

Sue,

"For an extra $267 a month they'll monogram each capsule for you. No, you don't like paying more. Could be one of several things: the filler, they don't fill many scripts of 4-AP and it has a short shelf life or, as one study found, a 10 mg capsule can have anywhere from 3 or 4 mg to 15 or so depending on the pharmacy. "

LOL, I'll skip the monogram but I do find the study very interesting. The local pharmacy that provided the useless 4-AP had never compounded it before my request and the capsule was a lot larger than from other pharmacies. The big dollar pharmacy has been compounding 4-AP for years, first for people with MS, then for us with a SCI. Their knowledge is extensive and obviously their product is superior. I guess that sometimes you get what you pay for.

Thanks!

Karen M