Thread: Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico

Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico

The sports page of the Washington Post of Aug 8, 04 has a story about a young football player who received stem cell treatment by a Dr. Emilio Jacques in Monterrey, Mexico. The article said this doctor spent 20 years at Boston University Hospital. Does anyone know anything about this treatment?

I think that is Chris Cannales. Try contacting
    him through the grid iron heros.org website.

The story on him is here. It appears that he received umbilical cord blood stem cells.

-Steven
    ...child, when life don't seem worth livin', come to jesus and let him hold you in his arms

clayton's thread is here.

I had surgery by Dr. Jacques on 07/06/05

I had surgery done by Dr. Jacques on 07/06/05 and every month I go back to Mexico for an injection...if anyones wants to know about my progress email me at stephenglez@msn.com. So far I can know pedal a bike on my own for two minutes and I can feel a pin prick two inches below my injury level. My Dr. said that it will take time and alot of work and I will improve. So far I feel a great change in my body. Just email me and I will keep everyone posted. Dr. Jacques first removed all the scar tissue and the used umbilical cord blood and injected it to my injury. He then used my fat tissue to put on the injected area to prevent scar tissue build up. Anyway, if anyone wants info on him let me know I highly recommned him.
    Stephen Glez.

Here is some internet information regarding Dr. Emilio Jacques

According to the American Back Society, Emilio Jacques MD is the Chair of the Committee on Spinal Orthoses.

According to http://www.aanos.org/annual_mtg_2005.pdf, Emilio Jacques gave three talks at the June 17-18, 2005 meeting of American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons in Acapulco.

9:30am-9:45am
    Emilio Jacques, MD, Laredo, TX
    Percutaneous Transpedicular Management of Discitis
    Percutaneous Transpedicular Management Of Discitis
    Emilio Jacques Jr., MD, Professor Of Spine Surgery, Director Of The International Spine Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Co-Authors: James W. Simmons, MD, Alexander G. Hadjipavlou, MD
    ABSTRACT CONTENT: The treatment of joint infection typically includes debridement, irrigation and prolonged antibiotic therapy. Gradually, open arthrotomy has been superseded by percutaneous arthroscopic debridement. Similarly, there have been recent reports of treatment of pyogenic spondylodiscitis by percutaneous discectomy using a postero-lateral approach. These reports indicate that early debridement of the disc using a nucleotome can decompress the infected disc and, when combined with antibiotic therapy, may serve as an alternative to open surgery. However, open surgical debridement and spinal fusion using autogenous bone graft is indicated for patients with spondylodiscitis, complicated by extensive vertebral destruction and neurological deficits.

Percutaneous transpedicular vertebral body biopsy, relatively a new technique, has been recently emphasized because of its simplicity, cost effectiveness, and its diagnostic accuracy is comparable to open biopsy. It has also been shown that, through a unilateral pedicular channel, more than 50% of a vertebral body is accessible for biopsy. Through a bilateral pedicular approach, any part of the vertebral body can be sampled and
    excised. We have been able to access the intervertebral disc using a modification of this transpedicular approach. The goal of this clinical study is to demonstrate our technique and experience with percutaneous transpedicular discectomy in 15 patients with discitis. We also discuss the indications for this procedure.

PURPOSE: To present the technique of percutaneous transpedicular biopsy and debridement of discs in diagnosis and management of discitis.

METHODS: Fifteen patients underwent disc biopsy through a transpedicular approach with local anesthesia and fluoroscopic guidance. An attempt was deployed through the transpedicular tract when there was persistent drainage.

RESULTS: Fifteen patients underwent percutaneous transpedicular disc biopsy and debridement of disc for suspected discitis. Only three patients had biopsy, and twelve had percutaneous discectomy. Six patients had at least one positive culture. Eight patients who underwent discectomy had immediate improvement in pain or neurological symptoms, obviating emergency surgical debridement of disc. Four patients did not
    improve and underwent surgical debridement and fusion.

CONCLUSIONS: Transpedicular biopsy of the disc is an effective technique for adequate tissue retrieval and diagnosis of discitis. Adequate debridement in selected patients with antibiotic therapy may be definitive. Epidural extension of discitis and massive vertebral destruction precludes percutaneous treatment.
    9:45am-10:00am
    Emilio Jacques, MD
    Etiology of Failures of Lumbo-Sacral Spine Surgery
    Etiology Of Failures Of Lumbo-Sacral Spine Surgery
    Emilio Jacques Jr., MD, Professor Of Spine Surgery, Director Of The International Spine Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Co-authors James W. Simmons Jr., MD, Horacio Gonzalez Escorcia MD, Jonathan Verbitzky MD
    Patients who did not improve their medical condition after lumbo-sacral surgery, are recognized for “FAILED BACK SURGERY SYNDROME” (FBSS). We have to do a diagnosis of the etiology of these FBSS patients. Unfortunately the FBSS patients are still very common and represent a major problem.
    PURPOSE: To identify the etiology of FBSS seen in our spine center.
    METHODS: Retrospective review of 100 patients seen in our spine center, due to continued pain and disability after lumbo-sacral spine surgery was performed in other spine centers.
    RESULTS: The diagnosis was established in 88 patients, 38 had severe fibrosis causing foraminal stenosis, 28 patients had discogenic pain, 10 patients had pseudoarthrosis, 6 patients had neuropathic pain, 4 patients had spinal instability and 2 patients had psychiatric problems.
    Conclusions: We were able to establish a diagnosis in 88 of 100 patients in our series.
    10:45am-11:00am
    25 Years of Auto-Experience in 20 Countries Practicing Orthopaedic-
    Spine Surgery

According to a February 20, 2004 article at the Spinal Cord Injury Zone web site http://news.thescizone.com/archives/000293.html
    The Spinal Cord Injury Zone | 2004 SCI News
    February 20, 2004

Marshall family has chance to help one of its own

HUNTINGTON -- When it comes to family, there are no final options.

One of Marshall’s own is proving that every day, maintaining a dogged determination that his son will walk again.

The lives of Mickey Matthews and his wife, Kay, were thrown into flux last summer when their son, Clayton, was seriously injured in a car accident. Clayton spent three months in two different hospitals and is continuing rehabilitation in Harrisonburg, Va.

Clayton suffered a spinal cord injury at the T-4 level and is confined to a wheelchair. The spinal cord injury is considered permanent, but the Matthews aren’t accepting final options.

Stem-cell replacement surgery has not been approved in the United States, but strides are being made internationally. The procedure is intended to regenerate an injured spinal cord.

Stem-cell replacement surgery has not been approved in the United States, but strides are being made internationally. The procedure is intended to regenerate an injured spinal cord.

The Matthews have been working with Dr. Emilio Jacques Jr. in Monterrey, Mexico. Jacques spent 20 years at Boston University before returning to Monterrey to further his work in stem-cell research.

On Monday, Clayton will undergo stem-cell replacement surgery in Monterrey, Mexico.

The idea of Clayton regaining mobility in his legs is the dream for both the Matthews and their countless close friends throughout the college coaching fraternity. Mickey Matthews helped develop the Thundering Herd into a Division I-AA national power, serving six seasons under Jim Donnan.

Matthews coached in Huntington from 1990-95 before joining Donnan’s Georgia staff. Matthews now is the head coach at James Madison.

Matthews was a graduate assistant on Kansas State’s staff with Donnan when Clayton was born. Donnan has watched through the years as the baby of the Matthews family grew into a man.

"He’s definitely a coach’s son," Donnan said. "He was always listening, working out and he had a great attitude. And he has a great attitude about this."

Mark Gale was hired along with Matthews on Donnan’s first Marshall staff. Before finding permanent residences, both Gale and the Matthews family lived at the Radisson, where Gale also got to know young Clayton very well.

"He was like a gym rat at the football field," said Gale, Marshall’s associate head coach. "He was always around. He loved being there."

As a kid, Clayton would run around the sidelines at Marshall Stadium, mimicking the huge players his father coached as Marshall’s defensive coordinator. Like so many coach’s sons, his love of the game continued into high school, where he was a standout athlete.

Clayton then played two seasons under his father at James Madison, before an unrelated back injury forced him to give up the game in the spring of 2003. Just a few months later, football no longer took priority in a life-long football family.

"Clayton is your typical coach’s son," said Greg Adkins, a former Marshall player who coached with Matthews from 1991-95. "He’s been around sports all his life. Clayton’s involved in a lot of activities. He’s a lot like Mickey. He’s a fun-loving guy and he’s never met a stranger."

That was never more true than at last month’s national coaches convention in Orlando, Fla. Clayton made the trip with Mickey and Kay; for many long-time family friends, it was the first opportunity to see Clayton since the accident.

"It was good for Clayton to be there," said Adkins, who now coaches at Tennessee. "For all of us that have a son or a daughter, that would be a tough situation to be in. I’m sure it’s tough, but it was healing for him to see a lot of familiar faces."

"It was great to see him," Gale said. "Everybody’s obviously thankful that he’s alive. They’re dear people to me and I’d do anything for them."

Donnan, Gale and Adkins trust that many other feel the same. Most of Clayton’s medical expenses have been covered by insurance, but Monday’s surgery will not be covered.

The surgery costs $90,000, and future expenses will include stem-cell injections and travel to Mexico.

An account has been set up at First Citizens Bank, 320 University Boulevard, Harrisonburg, Va., 22801. The name of the account is The Clayton Fund. Further information on this fund can be found by contacting Brenda Long at 540-433-6722.

"Friends and family of Mickey remember that he was and always will be considered a member of the Marshall family," Gale said. "And when a family member gets in trouble, we’ll offer any type of assistance we can."

"Mickey and Kay are fighters, and Clayton is also," Adkins added. "They’re using every resource they can so Clayton can walk again, which is the ultimate goal.

"It’s time for (the community) to reach out, and hopefully they will."

Donnan, nearly a decade removed from coaching in Huntington, remains confident that Marshall fans and others will deliver in a time of need.

"I’m sure of one thing," Donnan said. "The people of Huntington and the people of Marshall always step up when something like this happens. I’ve never been around a town that’s more supportive than Huntington. They make you feel like you’re a part of their family.

"I’m really pulling for Clayton and I want him to have as good a recovery as he can. Hopefully his situation in Mexico will be what he needs. I always believe in miracles and Clayton deserves one."

Anthony Hanshew covers Marshall football for The Herald-Dispatch. He can be reached at 526-2766. His e-mail address is hanshew@herald-dispatch.com
    According to http://golocal.uthscsa.edu/details.cfm?Service=8712 , his address is:
    Jacques, Emilio Jr., MD
    127700 Cimmaron Path, Suite 132
    1 De Zavala Center
    San Antonio, Texas 78240

Physician specializing in general practice.
    According to a post in the SCIWalker Forum, by "Eddie Canales",
    Hi Susan & Yatahea,
    I just wanted to let you know that another friend of ours has gone to Monterrey, Mexico to have the stem cell procedure done.
    Suasan you might recall the story of the cheerleader from Prairie View A&M that suffered a c4/c5 spinal cord injury.
    She was very interested in going to Portugal. I don't know if she qualified or how far down the list she was placed. She has had so much pain this past year that it was unbareable. Her dad would call me to ask what else could be done. I mentioned they needed to meet Dr. Jack. The doctor who did the stem cell procedure on my son Chris and does the follow up injections. We met with Dr. Jack three weeks ago at our house. Bethany has been in so much pain her dad call the doctor last week to see what he suggested. He told them to come to Monterrey the next Saturday and he would do the procedure.
    That was yesterday. I spoke to Dr. Jack and Bethany's Dad. Everything went well , there were no complications. In fact Bethany move her arms just to check if ther was any loss in function she already had. There was no loss of what she already had. There was a lot of scar tissue build up, which was removed, he did a decompression of the spinal cord, and added the stem cells. This Doctor has used cells from the umbilical cord, but has started using ESC. Stem Cell bank is in Euroupe. This doctor has patients in 26 different countries. He is now working with 6 of Dr. Limas patients for follow up stem cell injections. This is one of the things, I like. He is close enough and more cost effective to be able to do the follow up injections. Susan correct me if I am wrong but Dr. Lima does not do follow-up injections. I have never gotten the sense that his job was done after having a stem cell procedure. He wants to maintain a relationship as well as maintain progress reports with all of his patients. Since we are on our own after going out of the country to have this procedure, rehab is hard to come by. But we are seeing some great signs with my son Chris. Susan you haven't seen Chris in awhile. You will be amazed at how healthy he is. I am still trying to put a facility together here in the San Antonio area.
    This will include our Nueromuscular Electrical Stimulation Program that Dr. Sanchez is utilizing.
    Here is the contact number on the Doctor.
    Dr. Emilio Jacques Rivera
    Ph. 018183331211
    e-mail md_jacques@yahoo.com
    Sometime he is hard to reach.
    But since Bethany is in Monterrey right now til Wed. You might be able to reach him.
    Doctor Jack mentioned he met with President Bush in Washington. The President thanked Dr. Jack for his work and told him he could do whatever he wanted in stem cell research as long as he used his own money or private funding. This does allow him to come to the states and do follow up stem cell injections.

P.S. we have been very busy with our orgainization. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. www.gridironheroes.org

Keep up the good fight!

Keeping Hope Alive in 2005!

Eddie Canales
    According to a 1998 newsletter http://www.iits.org/g0/News33.htm of the International Intradiscal Therapy Society (IITS) headquartered in Belgium, Wisconsin, Dr. Emilio Jacques attended their annual 1998 meeting.

On 3/15 to 3/19/2000, Dr. Emilio Jacques presented the following two talks or posters at the 67th Annual meeting of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons in Orlando, Florida
    3/15-19/00 Emilio Jacques Jr., James W. Simmons. Poster Session: "The Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc: The High-Intensity Zone With Discography Correlation" American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeon: 67TH Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida

Emilio Jacques Jr., James W. Simmons. Poster Session: "A Prospective Study of 342 Patients using Transpedicular Fixation Instrumentation for Lumbosacral Spine Arthrodesis" American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeon: 67TH Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida
    In 1999, he presented the following abstract at an IITS meeting
    The Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc.? The High-Intensity
    Zone with Discography Correlation
    Author: James W. Simmons, M.D., San Antonio, Texas
    Presenter: Emilio Jacques, Jr.
    Co-Author: Bill Houser, M.D.
    Study Design: The study compared the presence of the high-intensity zone on magnetic resonance imaging with the results of awake discography.
    Objectives: To see if there was a correlation between the results of awake discography and the presence of a high-intensity zone on magnetic resonance imaging.
    Summary of Background Data: The evaluation of discogenic pain has proved to be somewhat elusive. Recent studies have indicated the high-intensity zone as being highly sensitive in the diagnosis of the painful discogenic segment. The present study was designed to investigate whether the presence of a high-intensity zone is associated with a concordant pain response on awake discography.
    Methods:? Magnetic resonance images were obtained in 29 patients with low back pain with and without radiculopathy. Consecutive patients were considered for surgical intervention after failing to respond to conservative treatment.? The presence of a high-intensity zone was specifically looked for within the posterior annulus. Each patient subsequently underwent awake discography with computed tomography. Computed tomography was classified according to the Dallas Discogram Scale and the presence of a concordant pain response. Chi-square analysis was used to calculate the presence of a high-intensity zone versus disc disruption and the correlation of high-intensity zone and concordant pain response.
    Results: There was no statistically significant correlation between the presence of a high-intensity zone and a concordant pain response at any level. The high-intensity zone was, however, never seen in a morphologically normal disc.
    Conclusions: Although the high-intensity zone is present within the posterior annulus of some abnormal discs, it is not necessarily associated with a concordant pain response.
    Disclosure: The author has no actual or potential conflict of interest in relation to this program or presentation.
    In 2000, he taught in a Spine Surgery Review Course in San Antonio http://www.spinesurgcoll.org/PAGES/2000RevCrseProg.htm

Finally, here are various carecure links http://carecure.org/forum/search.php?searchid=38247
    Last edited by Wise Young; 08-14-2005 at 08:31 AM.