View Poll Results: Would you partcipate in such a media ploy?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I would partcipate for sure!

25 28.74%
  • It is LIKELY that I would participate

6 6.90%
  • I MIGHT participate

11 12.64%
  • NO, but I would support such action

22 25.29%
  • No, I do not agree with such action

23 26.44%
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord-Injured Patients Trying to Chain Their Wheel Chairs to the White House Fence

Spinal Cord-Injured Patients Trying to Chain Their Wheel Chairs to the White House Fence

Given the fact that patients face a lonely and uncertain road as the article states which Dr. Young just posted today, how many CC members would be willing to participate in a type of action first suggested by CAMR:

Advocates said they hoped Frist's support would give the Senate a veto-proof margin and make it harder for Bush to reject the legislation.

''I don't think he wants his first veto to result in spinal cord-injured patients trying to chain their wheel chairs to the White House fence ,'' said Sean Tipton, spokesman for the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/miamihe...miherald_nation
    I find it interesting that CAMR spoke specifically of wheelchair users rather than diabetes sufferers which they also represent.............could it be wheelchair users present a MORE visible condition?
    So why do we act like folks with sci/paralysis are IN- visible?

Personally, I think such an action ought to be carried out pre-emptively rather than after a VETO has already been issued.

Would you participate in such an action in support of the Expansion of Stem Cell Research?
    Last edited by Faye; 08-13-2005 at 05:34 PM.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

For the CRPA? If I could make it, you bet!
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    President Bush is not threatening to veto the CRPA.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Thanks for the edit clarifying the question; now I can vote.

Because of the potential retaliatory decisions made by Bush for the remaining three years of his presidency, I would not do this in support of H.R. 810.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Who said crpa

Not CRPA, CAMR

Funny how people will align themselves. CRPA was not mentioned. I guess you want to wait till they or doctor Young consents with this advocacy. Screw all the orgs I want a cure is my motto.

Steven, will you wait till crpa endorses the action, or the dictatorship panel from carecure?

I tell you I appreciate Dr. Young, but I think its time we had our own advocacy.

I'm not happy with advocacy as long as it makes Dr. Young smile, we need our own thing and if he wants any advocacy that starts on his website to be under his control or his moderators I would hope someone could move this aggressive advocacy to another forum, Believe me you would get people to advance our position. But it would be nice if it could take place here without having to be told recruit elsewhere.

Who knows maybe I'm not alone, but to me the cure is more important than idolizing Dr. Young or the CRPA.

Hey, I'm already in the doghouse so I say what I feel.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

The question didn't specificy which bill or which effort the action would be in support of, thus my reply. After the addition of that information, I voted.

My replies were relevant. This will be my last in this thread.

The question didn't specify which bill or which effort the action would be in support of, thus my reply. After the addition of that information, I voted.

My replies were relevant. This will be my last in this thread.
    That's quite alright Steven, all we need is twenty die hards to get this going.

Look at the attention Cindy the mom of the slain soldier received. BTW, her efforts are supported by middle America-have you heard the truckers passing her camp give her the high five? From 20 people its growing and getting extreme media attention. Bush had to comment on her advocacy. Has he commented on people with paralysis after the April 12th march? no way

It's time those who are frustrated and are sick of the debates step forward, we really could make a difference.

While there are those that hypothesize on what action is best, I suggest action.

I'm almost sixty, my son is almost 23, I got no time to waste. I'm not comfortable with this situation. Perhaps I'm wrong as direction, but at least if we get noticed maybe someone will pick up the pieces and guide us. Right now I don't see that, all I see from our advocacy so far is to replenish the same efforts that have not got us a cure yet.

You can chose to take our frustrations and raise funds for the Keck Center or rally around Neurotrauma cause Dr. Young has his hand in it. I chose not to do that, and to rally around the people that need a cure. All I ask is for twenty people and we go. Lets roll.

Part of the disadvantage of putting someone in the doghouse is that they speak the truth, I already paid the price for being independent.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

Dr. Young, I don't mind if your website gets credit for this action, it should, you really have been there for us more than any other USA researcher. And, without this website it might not ever have happened. I only hope you are not against it. Feel assured that if we go ahead with this plan we would have no problem with honoring your support. It's welcomed. But, please let me express my frustrations, and not consider it an attack on your worth. Unlocking the prison of paralysis needs a face, the face of the people and their family that are part of this horrendous condition. It is them that can carry the torch to freedom, not the glamor of the professor. You have done your job by making it known that sci can be cured. We must now get the public to understand that. Only we can do that.And only we can show the reason why it needs to be done. Let us.

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

No, I do not agree with such action 7votes against=41.18%
    Why? you got a better plan, tell me

Sigh, that sucks that 41 percent would not aprove of aggressive adovacy where you were already singled out by CAMR to lead the fight.

I hope this is an early return and things will look up.

If you feel this way don't ever bring up the happy crip, or John Hockenbury, this was your chance and if you want to blow it, you have only yourself to blame.
    Last edited by bigbob; 08-13-2005 at 08:37 PM.

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

it may need to happen

Faye, big Bob... I have not made my decision on this question yet, but I do agree something needs to happen..SOON...

these days, we live in a media culture that feeds on Shock and Awe... mixing real news with entertainment news... each media outlet looking for the most outrageous story of the day... the most horrendous murder... children having sex with schoolteachers... celebrity trials... who was dating, who in Hollywood... news seems to be completely entertainment based. it is hard to separate the real news. Like all of the soldiers dying in Iraq, with all the fake rumor news.

The general media still does not understand the urgency, the great desperation, we all face every day with these injuries.... I do not think murder ball helped with exhibiting all the emotional/physical/psychological problems. People with spinal cord injury and THEIR FAMILIES FACE.

I DO BELIEVE SOMETHING RADICAL NEEDS TO HAPPEN. But in what form? Would tying a few wheelchairs to the White House fence accomplish anything? Would the scientists/researchers and foundations move any faster towards implementing clinical trials? Would 20 desperate be looked upon as freak shows and attacked by the right wing extremists?

I think if any radical movement happens, the families of those suffering spinal cord injuries, should also be part of the movement... would it take 10 families of those suffering spinal cord injuries... with each family member and a friend, wearing a straitjacket-as an emotional symbol of how they feel and the powerless feeling each one of them has to suffer through each day... I do not know.

what will it take for the national media to pick up on the shameful actions of our president... it is taking years for them just to pick up on the soldiers that are dying each day in Iraq... and even then, the political spin doctors are in full force....

or is it just better to sit here, and wait for other countries? sorry for my humble jumble o f theoretical questions...but I too am incredibly frustrated with the state of our country.

Does anyone else have any ot her radical ideas?