Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going on road trips?

Going on road trips?

I'm thinking of going to an even next month in Wisconsin. It's only a 15 hour drive, which I can do that only having to stop for fuel, food and peeing.

It got me thinking though. If/when there's another DC rally, I plan to drive instead of fly. I could probably drive to DC without an overnight stop, but what if I did need to stop. Are cheap "overnight" type motels accessible or would I need to plan ahead and make reservations at an accesible hotel along the way?
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

From my own experience, I have done road trips alone, and would always plan where I will stop for a night. Using the internet, you can get locations of all the major roadside motel chains, and go from there to see if one in your desired location for an overnight stay has a suitable room!

Of course, if you have a great sense of adventure, and don't mind sleeping in your car if theres " no room at the inn"...wing it!
    If it's too good to be true...it ALWAYS is!

Ditto .. I would call and reserve a room ahead of time.

Winging it doesn't work. Remember that there might be only 2 or 3 rooms that are wheelchair accessible at a place .... you might be surprised the people that can walk but book those rooms anyway.

You have much better accessible places than up here in Canada - that's for sure.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

When I take road trips, I just wing it

I dont like to have a set schedule as sometimes I feel like driving more, sometimes less than I thought. Generally I just call a hotel chain from my cell phone using the 800 directory and find out what hotel is closest to me (I tell them what town and state I am in) and they will make reservations then, when they ask for a credit card number for a confirmation, I tell them I am driving and they generally tell me as long as I am there in a couple hours they will hold the room. I have had really good luck with Hampton Inns, Fairfield inns (marriott),Red Roof inns and Hilton Hotels if I am in the mood to spend a little more money. I always ask for the Government Rate and that saves a pretty decent chunk of change generally.

Hey, if you are going to Wisconsin, you'll probably be going though Chicago, why dont you plan on making a pit stop in Chicago and meet some of us here. There's me, there's Chick, and a bunch of others on this board around here. We can get some dinner or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Hey, if you are going to Wisconsin, you'll probably be going though Chicago, why dont you plan on making a pit stop in Chicago and meet some of us here. There's me, there's Chick, and a bunch of others on this board around here. We can get some dinner or something.
    Yeah, I'll be passing by Chicago. The thing I'm going to is in Lake Mills, WI, but I'll be staying in Fort Atkinson, WI. I'll be there September 2-4 (laborday weekend).

What part of Chicago are y'all in? I have a cousin that lives just outside of Cicago (Romeoville) and I was thinking of stoping there on the way home anyway. I could make a mini vacation out of it and stay an extra day if y'all want to do something.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Usually Motel 6 will have an accessible room or 2, as long as they aren't full.

Question

I may be taking a total cross-country roadtrip if I can figure out a way to make it work . I had lived in Washington state since I was 9, until my accident. Now I am living with my parents in Georgia, and though I have fond nostalgic memories of it from my childhood it feels totally foreign and somewhat unpleasant now. Plus I don't know the area very well at all, the weather and the bugs are brutal, and all of my friends and my GIRLFRIEND live out there. I don't know if the girlfriend situation is going to work out, I hope it does but I'm not counting on it . So anyway, I am scheming on how I can get back to the pacific northwest that I have grown so fond of. I just bought a Honda Element, and got the privacy curtain as an accessory. This means that I could always sleep in my car as the front seats recline all the way flat, to contact the back seats to make a bed. Hopefully with a low-profile ROHO cushion under me to cushion the pressure sore on my tailbone, this would suffice as a bed. I just need to figure out how I would work out my bowel program. I would do a bunch of research first to figure out a bunch of interesting places across the country to stop at and explore, as well as planning out the best route. and I'd have to take my new digital camera with me to take lots of pictures. If anybody has any suggestions or comments on my possible adventure please post or message me. I really want to make this work so all the helpful advice or constructive criticism I can get will be welcomed.
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Quote Originally Posted by jimnms
    Yeah, I'll be passing by Chicago. The thing I'm going to is in Lake Mills, WI, but I'll be staying in Fort Atkinson, WI. I'll be there September 2-4 (laborday weekend).

What part of Chicago are y'all in? I have a cousin that lives just outside of Cicago (Romeoville) and I was thinking of stoping there on the way home anyway. I could make a mini vacation out of it and stay an extra day if y'all want to do something.
    In Chicago itself (NW side near Ohare). I'm on vacation the week of Labor Day also, so this might work out good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    In Chicago itself (NW side near Ohare). I'm on vacation the week of Labor Day also, so this might work out good.
    I could still stop by and meet up with you guys for dinner on the way. I haven't dicided if I'm going to leave on Friday, Sept. 2nd, or go a day early on Thurs. Sept. 1st though.