Thread: Bowel management device???

Bowel management device???

This is a true story, although it sounds bizarre, and I'm trying to find out more about this device.

About two years ago I met a guy who had this device implanted in his bowel for bowel management. To put it bluntly you place a "remote" up to your abdomen and it's like a garage door opener in your ass! He was really going on and on about the device because it cut bowel care time down to only a few minutes and without accidents. Never in one million years would I ever consider something like that for myself I thought at the time, but now I wouldn't mind knowing a little more a about it. I met this guy in passing and have no way of contacting him. Has anyone else heard of something like this? I been searching the Internet and have not been able to find any information myself.

I don't know why anyone would just make up something like this.

I hear stories like this from time to time and I know a while back there was an implantable device to help control the bladder. However, I believe this was taken off the market. I have not heard of anything approved to control the bowels. I too will be curious if anyone else has heard of such a thing and if it approved for use. PLG

Brindley (VoCare) device

The Brindley device is designed to provide FES controlled function for urination, defecation and erection. It can be implanted with one or all 3 of the functions.

PLG is correct though, the VoCare (the brand name in the USA) has been taken off the market in the USA due to $$$ reasons (not because it did not work). We implanted 6 at the center where I work, and all the patients use all the functions.

Keep in mind that in order to use this, you had to have a totally complete injury as all the sensory nerves from the bladder, bowel and genitals had to be cut in order to implant the device.

(KLD)