Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have Pseudomonas

I have Pseudomonas

Ok I intermittent cath and ever sense the middle of June I have been leaking at night which in the past has only happened when I have a UTI I have had four urine samples tested but they would call back in two or three hours and say there is nothing wrong with you. Well finally I hooked up with an urologist who would listen and he did a culture and low and behold I have Staff and Pseudomonas. I did a quick Google search but did not find much that I could understand on these nasty little bugs which by the way is not a hard thing to do. I am to start taking Cipro for the next three weeks and go for a CT scan to rule out an infected kidney stone or other possible causes. So my main question is this. What the Heck are Pseudomonas and what are they doing in my bladder and who said that they could make a home there anyway. Any information on what these little nasty’s are would be great. Also I know any type of infection is bad when you have a SCI but just how bad is this type.

Nevada

I had it when I was pregnant, but i used an indwelling and got it by irrigating with tap water in an emergency (bad AD due to clog). Anyhow, being pregnant I couldn't take Cipro so I was on several different IV antibiotics. And I spent 2 nights in hospital but I can't remember if that was from the psuedonomas UTI or a different one.

Hi Nevada,
    I don't know what the nasty little pseudomonae are, but I was once told about flushing them.
    There is a "sterile" kiind of vinegar, don't know the dose, (maybe a pharmasist can tell you) mix with water and flush thru catheter.
    An "old school" nurse said it works.
    Good luck,
    Cathy J

Pseudomonas and staph are common urinary pathogens in people with SCI. Staph is a common skin bacteria, but can also live in your intestines. Pseudomonas is a normal bug in your intestines and is also common in water contaminated with feces (hot tubs and ponds are common culprits). Neither belong in your bladder or kidneys, so they can often cause UTIs. Pseudomonas is also commonly associated with struvite urinary stones, so it is important to be sure you do not have any stones if you it in your urine.

You are correct that there is no way to deterine what bacteria you have in your urine and how to treat it with at test that takes only 3 hours. This would be a urinalysis, and in people with SCI, the needed test is a urine culture and sensitivity (C&S), which takes 72 hours for the final results. If you have symptoms, then most physicians will prescribe an antibiotic right away (after collecting the urine specimen), but the results of the C&S MUST be checked at 72 hours as often the antibiotic needs to be changed when the results come back.

Cathy, I actually participated in a research study that showed that pseudomonas actually THRIVE in vinegar. We used to use vinegar for cleaning leg bags, and stopped once we did this study and went to using only bleach. I would not recommend using any type of vinegar (ie acetic acid) for either bladder irrigation or urinary bag cleaning.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-09-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Hello -

I battled on/off for three years with this type of infection in the wounds on my feet.

As far as I was told - it can come from anything where moisture sits (or where there's other strains of previous infection) so when I showered, I would put my feet out of the way of any clean shower water or run-off. If you're leaking at night, I'll betcha that's where yours started.

Take it serious. It's a tough strand to break with antibiotics so take them religiously! It's very persistant in that it will come back and back. Usually, there's a greenish flourescent quality to this bacteria - that's how I always diagnosed it in my feet - but I can't say I've ever had it in my bladder (that I know of). Watch when undressing soiled clothes - like I said this is persistant and you wouldn't want to get it in any cuts or other open sores where you couldn't feel an infection.

Found this on the net:

http://www.healthcentral.com/encyclo...nfections.html

It can be beat, it's tough but be persistant and keep up on those antibiotics and tests!

P.S. If you use a shower seat or commode chair - make sure to use an antibacterial cleaner before and after you shower - it can't hurt and it's just being extra precautious. Bacteria like to live in those places as well as the tub, etc.

P.P.S. One more thing - I'm not an advocate for drinking beer ... but a couple of days with two beers a day (which will flush you out) might speed along the process. It has to be the last straw before I try that unofficial treatment. lol Never met an alcoholic SCI with bladder infection problems.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 08-09-2005 at 01:34 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wow, thanks, KLD,
    I would have never known!
    Cathy J

Thanks for the information sounds like I may have a tough row to hoe if things don't go my way. I have heard nothing back on the CT scan so I hope no news is good news. Now all I have to do is evict the little nasties from their new home

Just got my results from my CT I have a small kidney stone less than 2 mm so my staff and Pseudomonas are coming from some where else

Nevada, why do you say that? Even a very small stone can be caused by pseudomonas and can continue to seed pseudomonas bacteria into the urine. You need to get that stone out before you will be able to fully get rid of the bugs you have?

(KLD)

KDL
    I was told by the urologists nurse that as it was a small stone that he did not think that it was the problem causing the bacteria. He the second urologist I have seen in the last three weeks and he seems to be more on the ball than the first who told me to take Baclofan for the leaking and Hipox to kill the bugs so I don't know where I stand now. I have an appointment with my SCI physician next week so maybe she can shed some light on the subject.