Thread: Glutes?

Glutes?

Hey, if you have glutes (bum muscles) or flickers of movement in your bottom, when did you start getting it back? How did you strengthen to get buns O'steel and how long did it take?

I don't even know what level it is. I've got hamstings, quads and hipflexors, but why no glutes?

I could probably walk functionly if i got my ass back, and i can't help hoping...

A good rehab doctor is the best person to answer your question. The answer depends on how far out you are from your injury. If it was really recent, there is hope of significant further recovery. If it's more than a couple of years, then there is less hope that this will be functional.

RAB

I also have weak ass muscles. I don't have any ass muscle on my left side but i've made my left one pretty strong by doing bridges and jsut walking functinoally will help build them alot. Use a walker if u can't use crutches yet, just get up and awlk and u will build them! don't expect them to be really huge like they use to be. But now i can flex my right ass cheek prettty good, and its hard, like rock. lol
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Surf - I mean no disrespect to Mr Coffee and I'm very happy he's had return of his glutes. However, like other things in SCI hard work doesn't necessarily equal recovery. I've tried everything Mr. Coffee described and I still have no butt (or calves). I asked once and someone said that the neurons have to work for the muscle to build. Guess that makes sense. On the other hand, if you don't do the work you won't know if you'll get recovery - I just wanted to say that it's not guaranteed. Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Surf Sister, your gluteus maximus contributes to your hip extension (straightening out your hips), external rotation (rotating your leg outward), transverse abduction (moving your legs out to the side), and adduction (moving your legs across the midline). It is innervated by the spinal cord levels L5 to S2. These levels of the spinal cord, by the way, are situated at about vertebral level T12. It also provides padding for the sitting area.

The gluteus maximus is a big muscle that is difficult for people with spinal cord injury to exercise or to stimulate electrically. Some effort has been made to stimulate the gluteus in spastic cerebral palsy children (http://www.regence.com/trgmedpol/dme/dme57.html) but the results have not been particularly impressive. However, there has been at least one study showing the electrical stimulation of the gluteus maximus in people with spinal cord injury will increase muscle blood flow. Gluteus maximus stimulation has also been used in stimulation systems that are designed to help people stand Paraplegic Standing.

Under funding from the MDA (1986 - 1995) a device was developed to allow standing by paraplegics by means of FES. The quadriceps and gluteus maximus are stimulated using skin surface electrodes causing knee and hip extension. The knee angle is monitored by the system which will increase the stimulation level in response to reduction in knee angle, there by ensuring safe standing. An additional component of the system is a wheel chair mounted standing frame which when folded can be easily carried but provides a balance aid when extended. To stand the user presses a button and is lifted as the quadriceps are stimulated. To sit the button is pressed again. Measurements of muscle bulk and limb blood flow showed that training for standing improved these quantities to normal values, improving skin quality and reducing the chance of pressure sores. To date 41 paraplegics have used the system while 22 have achieved adequate standing for use at home.
    http://www.salisburyfes.com/past%20research.htm

An alternative approach to muscle stimulation is stimulation of the lumbar roots. This was part of a project called LARSI
    The LARSI Project

While the standing system has successfully provided standing the user is required to don and doff equipment each day and the function is limited. For this reason it was decided to develop an implanted system. The Lumbar Anterior Root Stimulator Implant (LARSI) was developed by the implanted devises group at University College London. The implant stimulates the anterior nerve roots as they leave the spinal cord, within the spinal dura. This approach has the advantage of a single operative site and a reduction in cable runs which are prone to breakage. Power and control signals for the implanted are passed through the skin by radio telemetry. Root stimulation produces gross patterns of movement which can be combined to produce the desired function. Following funding by the MRC (1992-1997) two systems have been implanted in Salisbury. Measurements are made using a specially designed device known as the multi moment chair. The patient sits in the apparatus which has force measurement transducers to record the force moment about each joint. In this way, combinations of stimulated roots can identified that produce useful movements. The first candidate has achieved standing, basic stepping and tri-cycling. The second subject has stood.

While initial work has been promising, further work is required to perfect the movements produced. This is presently being funded by the Welcome foundation (1998-2001).
    http://www.salisburyfes.com/past%20research.htm

Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1990 Aug;71(9):682-6. Related Articles, Links

Blood flow in the gluteus maximus of seated individuals during electrical muscle stimulation.

Levine SP, Kett RL, Gross MD, Wilson BA, Cederna PS, Juni JE.

Rehabilitation Engineering Program, Department of PM&R; and Nuclear Medicine Division (Drs., University of Michigan Medical Center 48109-0032.

Blood flow was measured under the ischial tuberosites of seated individuals during electrical stimulation of the gluteus maximus muscles. Eight able-bodied and six spinal cord injured subjects were studied. Muscle blood flow was measured via radioactive tracer (133xenon) clearance. Retention of xenon in adipose tissue prevented accurate measurement of blood flow in cutaneous and subcutaneous tissue. Average muscle blood flow for both subject groups was increased during stimulation as compared to rest. All subjects showed an increase in muscle blood flow during stimulation. The statistical significance from a paired student t-test was greater for able-bodied subjects (p less than .05) than for spinal cord injured subjects (p = .12). The increase in muscle blood flow produced by electrical muscle stimulation in seated individuals supports the hypothesis that electrical muscle stimulation can help prevent pressure sores.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

thanks for the helpful information, guys

i'm t12/L1 with some cauda equina injury, so that kinda explains why glutes are so hard to get, sometimes i have flickers, sometimes they aren't there or can't be detected. if i wasn't so invested, i'd find it utterly fascinating.

i guess i'll just exercise and wait and see
    : )

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_Sister
    i guess i'll just exercise and wait and see: )
    Yes, Surf Sister and I think that is very important, if not just for preserving the muscle mass you have at this time. Cause one thing is for sure, if you don’t continue with exercises you can loose more muscle mass. If signals are coming back that will be a plus, and they may - I can see it is just a little bit over a year since your injury date. I had my SCI some years ago, I have got some improvement regarding signal return since then but most of all I have preserved the little there was of those muscles you mentioned, and everything helps. Can also walk a few yards with crutches. Leif

Reviving an old post that came up on the list of a new one.

Surf Sister, its been 7 yrs. & I wondered if you have gotten much glute muscle return?
    My return didn't start until about 3 yrs post and I have been slowly strengthening them with no FES (It doesn't work on me-I don't get any reflexive reactions) A lot of it has been trying to tighten them, visualizing, while being in a few key positions.

Surf Sister has not visited our site since September 2010, so don't hold your breath waiting for a response.

(KLD)