Thread: Birth Control

Birth Control

If I'm not pregnant by October I'll need some birth control until the next August as I don't want a baby in the middle of the school year. We'de prefer not to use condoms and I won't go on Depo again. I know the pill increases blood clot risk, but how much? It so frustrating having so few options.

I've been on the Pill off/on for 10 years. Since my SCI, I've had to switch to a higher dosage Pill (Ortho-Novum 1/35), but have had no problems with it. I'd stay far away from Depo - a freind (not SCI) gained ~30lbs and it destroys bone density. Try Yasmin, it's pretty good. Oh - the Patch I'd be cautious of, too. Another girlfriend had an unexpected "surprise" (but, a good one!) with that.

Andrea

ETA: Everyone has differing opinions on the Pill and DVT risk. After speaking w/several different GYNs, I determined I felt the benefit outweighed the risk. DVT can strike AB women, too. Don't smoke, be under 35 y/o and keep active and just be very aware of the symptoms of clots.
    Last edited by -Andrea-; 08-05-2005 at 01:16 PM.

I'm on the pill right now aqnd no problems so far. Be sure to get one with low estrogen since it increases the chance of blod clots. I'm currently using triphasil.

the IUD

Do you already have one or more children? Because if you have given birth once, I highly recommend the IUD. It is instantly reversible, and does not have systemic effects like birth control pills. The purely non-drug version is called Paraguard, the one with a teensy amount of hormones (that stays only in the uterus) is called Mirena. I have Mirena, have for almost 5 years (... which is the max it can stay in before it must be replaced, I'm due for a "oil change" here soon ) and I LOVE it.

Good luck trying to conceive and with birth control choices if its needed.

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Success with the IUD is less than that of BC pills (used correctly) so your risks for unplanned pregnancy is higher. There are certain meds (particularly anti-inflammatory meds such as NSAIDs as well as certain antibiotics) which cannot be used with an IUD because they decrease the effectiveness of the IUD. For women with SCI there is some concern about use of IUDs if there is lack of uterine sensation (T10 and above) because the woman may not have any symptoms of PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) which is one of the most common serious complications for IUD users.

Emi, you might want to explore the use of the sponge. It is most effective if combined with condoms though. I know most men don't like to use condoms, but they are one of the safest and most effective types of birth control if used consistently....you health has to be a consideration in the choices for both of you.

(KLD)

Its not my partner who doesn't like condoms, its me - I have little enough sensation as it is.

Is is possible to take any drug to counteract the bloodclot risks?

After the next baby, if i have a C-section I'll get tied off when they are in there, if its not a C-section I'll be looking into a mirena while convincing dh to ge a vesectomy.