Thread: How sterile is your catheter?

How sterile is your catheter?

Does anyone have good faith in the sterility of the catheters they use? It recently dawned on me that perhaps the series of bladder infections in the last year is due to the fact that my cath company is not what it used to be. I have had trouble in the past with "sterile" catheters growing mold prior to opening...

Red face Mold Cath's

No, No mold... but sliced in half at a wicked angle. I tried to use it at night in the dark and I bled. It was a mentor also! Mikey Also
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Bardia, used to be Bard

Bardia was my brand, I am going to switch and see if my theory holds that maybe its not me but the company that has changed and is the reason why after 20 years injured, I am now getting so many infections

Quote Originally Posted by cadamson
    Bardia was my brand, I am going to switch and see if my theory holds that maybe its not me but the company that has changed and is the reason why after 20 years injured, I am now getting so many infections
    I used Bard "external" cath and got a batch that was supposedly same size as I had been using for years but, fit differently and screwing up a lot. That was about 2 years ago. I called customer service , they sent me samples with same problems , second phone conversation the rep did tell me they were being made in in a different factory ( I believe Mexico) that was external cath ( use Rochester's now and Mentor for IC) so there might be something to your theory...

As a medical device, catheters are controlled by the FDA as are drugs in the USA. If you find defective product, you should report it to the company AND to the FDA at this site:

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/problem.html

(KLD)